Is being a pre-med in Texas worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamondsonmedancing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from California but I came to do my undergrad in Texas because it's apparently a good state to be a pre-med, I have some cousins here, and I have in-state status. But, I don't like it here and really just want to go back to California, so I want to know if I have a real advantage of staying in Texas or am I just wasting my time here? How hard is it to get into California med schools (what gpa/mcat would I need)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, being a Texas resident is far better than being a CA resident in terms of chances for medical school admission. If you are sure you can get residency, then go for it. Not only that, but TX medical schools are substantially cheaper which is another reason to stay in Texas. In terms of living, I do agree with you that CA is better but that decision is yours to weigh lol

Last edited:
I'm from California but I came to do my undergrad in Texas because it's apparently a good state to be a pre-med, I have some cousins here, and I have in-state status. But, I don't like it here and really just want to go back to California, so I want to know if I have a real advantage of staying in Texas or am I just wasting my time here? How hard is it to get into California med schools (what gpa/mcat would I need)?
Only two schools in CA have a stated preference for the 6,437 CA applicants. They account for 170 seats, thus there is very little advantage to being a CA applicant and only 15% matriculate IS.
All TX schools have a statutory mandate to accept TX applicants. They have an IS matriculation of 33%

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only two schools in CA have a stated preference for the 6,437 CA applicants. They account for 170 seats, thus there is very little advantage to being a CA applicant and only 15% matriculate IS.
All TX schools have a statutory mandate to accept TX applicants. They have an IS matriculation of 33%
Is there a reason why Texas has this mandate?