Is Biochem a must take class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustintheDoctor

High functioning FeelsOpath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it's a make or break class for the MCAT? I would need to take orgo2 as well to take it so you know, it may not be too nice to my GPA.

Any thoughts?
If it's absolutely needed for the mcat I'll tough it out and take it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Absolutely.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if it's a make or break class for the MCAT? I would need to take orgo2 as well to take it so you know, it may not be too nice to my GPA.

Any thoughts?
Yes.

I had a UG summer student once and pointed to a wall chart with a ton of biochemical pathways. I mentioned that "you're going to need to learn all of those"

He refused to believe me.

Once he got into med school, he admitted how wrong he was.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's just say, before I took biochemistry I had a score of 505, after I took it, I scored 512.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also biochemistry is easier than organic chemistry in my opinion.

Honestly I regretted a year passing since biochem when I studied for the MCAT. I can't imagine how it would've felt if I had never taken biochem.

Not a must take.

Unless you want a good score.

Any thoughts?

The morning of the MCAT, I promised myself I would not do any last minute anxiety studying. I broke that promise to myself and went over Limeweaver-Burk plots. There was a question on the C/P section about Limeweaver-Burk plots as they relate to competitive inhibition. I got that question right because I went over that in the morning. Had I not done so, I probably would have gotten a 124 on that subsection instead of a 125, and had an overall score of 509 instead of 510. This would have made me auto-screen material at many schools that I am not now. So, yes, biochemistry is important for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to say thanks for the responses! So I'll definitely take it now... now the question is, is one semester fine or do I need both semesters of biochemistry?

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses! So I'll definitely take it now... now the question is, is one semester fine or do I need both semesters of biochemistry?

The first is sufficient, as long as it covers the topics that are typically covered in a one semester biochemistry course that majors and pre-health students normally take. I would recommend doing a google search for syllabi of biochemistry courses that are known to be beneficial to premeds (i.e., BC 351 at Colorado State, the Harvard Extension online course, etc.) and making sure the first semester course where you plan to take it mirrors that content.

Reactions: 1 user