1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is BioChem helpful?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by gildas, May 3, 2004.

1. gildas

gildas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is it helpful to take a BioChem course if you are planning to take the MCAT?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It certainly isn't necessary. I haven't taken biochem and was doing well on my practice exams. I do think that you would have a major advantage if you took biochem first, though. Good luck! :thumbup:

4. mebhs15

mebhs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

I took it and it definitely helped. The things it helped with were covered in basic classes, but it just strengthened those subjects. I would recommend it.

5. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Biochem is about proteins. They love proteins on the MCAT. It's not absolutely, positively necessary, but I would highly recommend it.

6. gildas

gildas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks guys, I will be taking it anyway because it is required for my major (Clinica Lab Sciences).

7. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

Great idea! Biochemistry was a good portion of the version of the MCAT I recently took.

8. Wahooali

Wahooali The Real Sydney Bristow
    7+ Year Member

Regardless of whether it is useful or not Biochem is fun. It's a good class. And yes, I am a huge nerd, thank you, you can smack me later.

9. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i dont think i had jack related to biochem on my MCAT

10. blz

blz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took a Molecular Biology and Biochemistry two semester course and I swear about 3 of my passages in my BS were directly covered in that class. It helped a lot with some of the detail based independent questions as well.

11. superdevil

superdevil planning my escape
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well, biochem is on the MCAT, but i hadn't yet had the class, and i didn't find the MCAT biochem stuff to be overwhelming in difficulty.

the amount of what could be called "biochem" that you need to know for the MCAT is pretty well covered in most review books, IMHO.

12. alanlee

alanlee Member
    10+ Year Member

I found Biochem to be very useful before I took the MCAT. I agree that most courses go into too much depth for the MCAT, but the integration (between intro bio and orgo) was very useful - as was knowing the intricacies of prions when a prion passage showed up on the MCAT. :)

13. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the most useful courses for the MCAT BS section are Genetics and Human physiology. Seriously, I never touched a biochem class (THANK YOU JESUS) and never found the biochem to be *that* difficult

14. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i found the biochem on the mcat not requiring any significant bakground knowledge. most of the questions were answerable from the passage or question stem...i am a biochem major, so maybe i am biased.

15. UCdannyLA

UCdannyLA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Taking biochem is a DEFINITE advantage. Having the course under your belt makes some of the questions on the MCAT ridiculously easy, that without having taken biochem would have required some of your scarce, precious brain power, had you not taken biochem.

Take biochem.

16. daelroy

daelroy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It can be. I was really challenged by my biochem class which helped a lot. We didn't just have to memorize pathways in my biochem class. There were a lot of conceptual testing in my class. But if you take one of those classes that only have you memorize pathways, it won't help you much.

17. raDiOnut

raDiOnut Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish I'd had time to take Biochem before my first MCAT...and more than a month and a half of Mammalian Physiology. I'd recommend them both.

raDiOnut