Is BioChem required for medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really, really don't want to take Bio Chem... I want to have a pretty relaxing senior year.... do I NEED to have taken it before I graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the specific school. I know Mayo and CCLCM require it. It seems that most don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
most don't....but its a great help for med school, since you'll be encountering biochem in your first year

dammit... some of those schools I was considering applying to

Some schools do, some schools prefer that you do.

But biochem would help out a lot on the MCAT anyways.

Biochem is the one course med students usually recommend pre-meds to take even if it's not required. Now, if you have to take it as an option of fulfilling a degree requirement (i.e. bio/chem majors), running away from it will probably make it worse later. If it's something out of your way (engineering, liberal arts), use your best judgement. Of course, some schools do require it and it'd be a shame not to be able to apply to them because you wanted it easy.

Biochem would be really helpful first year. Just remember they will throw a ton of stuff your way the first semester and having a background in what they're teaching you will help ease the transition....

The majority of people in our BioChem classes get Cs (2.0s) or Bs if they're lucky

The majority of people in our BioChem classes get Cs (2.0s) or Bs if they're lucky

It's the same way at my school, but the course isn't curved so if you study your *** off and learn the material you can still get that A. It's going to be helpful for medical school and the MCAT so I'd say that you do it...

I have a side question: Is it acceptable to take biochem/biochem lab at another (easier) school instead of taking at your home school? My home school is a really competetive top 25 public...with awful curves and awful biochem profs. Any thoughts?

Wait, are you guys saying that biochem the class is required or biochem lab is required?

Look at the schools that you intend on applying to. If they require Biochemistry, then you will need to take it or otherwise don't apply to those schools. Not every medical school requires biochemistry and if you don't want to take this course, don't apply to the schools that do.

If your stats are good enough to get into one of those schools, you'll do fine in biochem. It's hard, but really relevant to medicine.

My school is required for one quarter of biochem for the degree, but would taking 3 quarters of it show anything? I would prefer one quarter of bio chem rather than 1 year worth of bio chem =[.

Some schools do, some schools prefer that you do.

But biochem would help out a lot on the MCAT anyways.

hear, hear .. one of the AAMC sample MCATs (not online!) had a bio passage regarding the binding triad of Serine, aspartate, and histidine

fsu requires biochem 1 and 2
uf requires just biochem 1