Is biochem useful for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdsweetie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I don't need to take biochem for my major but I was wondering, would it help me for the MCAT? I am planning to take the MCAT in January.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i personally think that it is very usefull. take it if you have time. It can only help you

I didn't take it, and didn't feel I needed it. Having more information at your disposal can probably help you, but I wouldn't sweat it if I didn't have biochem done before taking the MCAT, especially if you understood the boarderline biochemistry areas from the requisite organic chemistry or biology classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can be really helpful depending on what topic you get. You'll never need to know the information (because it will be provided in the passage) but I remember some of the full lengths I took had passages on glycolysis and all the enzymes so basically I did not have to read it. I just glanced over to look for any words I did not recognize and then continued.

It was helpful... but only the stuff I learned in the first 2 weeks and the hemoglobin unit. Just focus on characteristics of the 20 important amino acids and how hemoglobin functions and you will be fine for the MCAT. Class unnecessary (but obviously, can't hurt). Plus it looks good on apps.

I didn't take biochem before the MCAT, but I felt there was one passage that it would have helped me with. It wasn't necessary, although it may have helped me get a couple more questions right.

I felt that Cell Bio was more beneficial than Biochem. While Biochem didn't hurt, taking it for the purpose of helping you out with with your MCAT prep is very very low yield. I would, however, recommend cell bio.

i highly recommend biochem! after taking that class along with physiology, my biological score jumped from a 10 to a 13...I think it helps hammer some concepts home like glycolysis, enzyme kinetics, amino acids, lipids, carbs, and a little organic chem

Biochem can be useful for the MCAT, but is at the same time unnecessary. You can get all the information in a review book and take another class. If you are looking for just another class to take and also want to help yourself learn stuff for the MCAT, consider cell bio or molecular genetics. There has been a growing emphasis lately on that material. But just for the record, again those classes are also only helpful...not necessary...for the MCAT.

I felt that Cell Bio was more beneficial than Biochem. While Biochem didn't hurt, taking it for the purpose of helping you out with with your MCAT prep is very very low yield. I would, however, recommend cell bio.

:thumbup: agreed

I also found biochemistry to be extremely useful when taking the MCAT... I had an entire passage with Michaelis Menton kinetics questions, and though I probably would have been able to decipher the passage, it was MUCH easier with prior understanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, people tend to believe it did help them if they took it. However, according to AMCAS' study on the subject, students w/ biochem did no better than those w/o. While results may vary by person, I'd tend to suspect most of the people who took it found it was "helpful" due mostly to a confirmation bias and not due to any actual significant effect. I will, however, still be taking it because, hey, many schools recommend it and anything to make you feel better about the MCAT, right?

If I was weak in Orgo (specifically Orgo II) would taking Biochem as opposed to cell bio help on the MCAT?

Thanks!

Or alternatively instead of taking any upper-level biology classes (I am a liberal arts major) would I be better off learning the information from a detail-oriented book like the Princeton Review hyperlearning bio book and using the extra time to practice?

Thanks a lot!

I thought it was useful to reinforce the molecular biology stuff on the MCAT. If you study the biology stuff in Examkrackers you should be good for the MCAT BS section.

I thought it was useful to reinforce the molecular biology stuff on the MCAT. If you study the biology stuff in Examkrackers you should be good for the MCAT BS section.

Is molecular biology covered in a upper-level cell bio or biochem class?

thanks

Molecular and Microbio helped me a lot more, but biochem helped a little with some ochem stuff.

Could someone please tell me which 2 of these classes would be most helpful for the MCAT?

1) Biochem
2) Animal Physiology
3) Eukaryotic cell & developmental biology
4) Microbiology

Thanks!

Is molecular biology covered in a upper-level cell bio or biochem class?

thanks

My upper division Cell class was a combined, Cell and Molecular biology course, so it covered from DNA to ECM and beyond. I think it was hands down the most beneficial biology course I have taken for the MCAT. I also thought micro was helpful, but I wouldn't take that class for the purpose of building skills for the MCAT unless you're a bio major or minor and it can be applied towards it.

Could someone please tell me which 2 of these classes would be most helpful for the MCAT?

1) Biochem
2) Animal Physiology
4) Microbiology

Thanks!

Animal phys and Micro. Just my take though. Like I said before, biochem is very very low yeild for the MCAT.

My upper division Cell class was a combined, Cell and Molecular biology course, so it covered from DNA to ECM and beyond. I think it was hands down the most beneficial biology course I have taken for the MCAT. I also thought micro was helpful, but I wouldn't take that class for the purpose of building skills for the MCAT unless you're a bio major or minor and it can be applied towards it.

Animal phys and Micro. Just my take though. Like I said before, biochem is very very low yeild for the MCAT.

Thanks for the info! There are various upper-div MCD classes at my school.

Of these cell bio classes, which do you think would be most useful:

1) Intro to cell biology
Analysis of cell organization, structure, and function at molecular level. Cell membranes and organelles, membrane transport, cellular signaling, cytoskeleton and cell movement, intracellular trafficking, cell energetics.

2) Cell Biology: Cell Cycle
Eukaryotic cellular structures and biogenesis at molecular level. Biochemical and genetic analysis of cell cycle, signal transduction, and their involvement in development and cancer. Protein sorting and transport across cell membranes. Cytoskeletal components and cell-adhesion.

3) Molecular Biology
Structure of genes and chromosomes; prokaryotic and eukaryotic replication and transcription; repair and recombination; RNA processing.

Thanks a lot!

1) Intro to cell biology
Analysis of cell organization, structure, and function at molecular level. Cell membranes and organelles, membrane transport, cellular signaling, cytoskeleton and cell movement, intracellular trafficking, cell energetics.

Eukaryotic cellular structures and biogenesis at molecular level. Biochemical and genetic analysis of cell cycle, signal transduction, and their involvement in development and cancer. Protein sorting and transport across cell membranes. Cytoskeletal components and cell-adhesion.

3) Molecular Biology
Structure of genes and chromosomes; prokaryotic and eukaryotic replication and transcription; repair and recombination; RNA processing.

Thanks a lot!

All of these are probably equally relevant for the MCAT. I would go with the one that has the reputation as being the toughest. Tough classes are the best prep for the MCAT hands down.

1) Intro to cell biology

3) Molecular Biology

Thanks a lot!

It sounds like you'll get more from the Cell Bio and then Molecular Biology courses. They both look good. I would take both of them, but I'm into that sort of thing. Don't take them if they won't help you get a degree or minor, unless you're interested in them. But if you are, taking them prior to the MCAT will probably help you out. I think the molecular class is a better class to take than genetics.

1) Biochem
2) Animal Physiology
4) Microbiology

Thanks!

I was taking Biochem II and Vertebrate Physiology II the semester I took the MCAT and I feel it was the best preparation for the bio section. I haven't taken 3 or 4 and don't intend to.

Good luck!

1) Intro to cell biology

3) Molecular Biology

Thanks a lot!
If your gen bio course covered cell bio, then the first one is redundant. If not, take it. You should take Molecular Bio if you can; it sounds like it covers most of the MCAT genetics. The second course seems too specialized for the MCAT (for example for protein sorting all you have to know is that it's made in RER and modified in golgi; anything more is too much)