Is Biochemistry a doable A?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shalom12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if Biochemistry is a course that if you study hard, can achieve within A/A- range.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it's hard to say that definitively about any course. The way biochemistry is taught differs drastically across academic institutions, so I don't believe that you can receive a universal answer to your question. But generally, the harder you study the better you will do (to a certain extent). Then again there are courses where studying/memorizing pathways is a small aspect of the course and understanding/practical application are emphasized more.

Biochem is hard. If you work hard, you will most likely do well.

I'm sure some students in the class will get A's. Study more than the rest and you should get an A no matter who is teaching.

Biochem is not hard as much as it just separates the students who work from those who just go. All the studying builds upon itself and if you end up taking Phys or genetics or anything bio upper division you should really focus hard for biochem. Almost any bio research opportunities will involve some form of biochem.
Nobody really researches biology at the cellular level anymore. It's all genetics, mutations, proteins, membrane markers, pharma etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It really is relative and dependent on whose teaching it. I took Biochem I this semester with a difficult professor. Class average is currently 65, but somehow I have a 101 average (after 10 bonus points). It really depends on you and your study habits. I think what makes me so successful is I always read the chapters, practice questions, and review quizzes, but I emphasize in understanding areas my professor mentions in class. He doesn't pull questions from a testbank like so many people are use to these days. You really gotta know your stuff well. I also record lectures and relisten to them if I have time and take meticulous notes which helps with pre-exam day review.

It was pretty daunting at first because I've been out of school for about 4 years, but I've come to learn it's all very doable if you apply yourself, regardless of the professor's difficulty. So many people say this guy is insanely difficult but in all truth, his testing is straightforward. It's just a lot to keep up with and it's definitely not a class you want to slack off.

As for Biochem II it's hard to say as I haven't taken it, but I hear a lot of memorization is involved. Cannot be as bad as immunology though... that class was hell. Cannot wait until my final so I can be done with it... then start studying for the MCAT... yay me.:yawn:

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Shalom12345,

Just adding to this. I would say that, in general, you can achieve an A/A- with hard work in any course. Now, realistically speaking, when preparing for a course like biochemistry, much of your final grade can be contingent on other factors—some of which may not typically be in your control, such as how other students in the course perform. In some courses, you may have to deal with a curve, in which only a certain proportion of the highest scorers in the class are able to receive an A or an A-. In this case, it is possible that you can work quite hard but still fall short of an A- if others in your class perform better.

Of course, your professor typically has final say on what your grade is. Many professors will appreciate seeing you work hard and enjoy a class. For this reason, if you find yourself struggling, be sure to show interest and attend that professor's office hours. This will convey interest an effort—both of which bode well for your end of the semester grade.

In terms of preparation, feel free to ask your professor how best to prepare for the exams, as he or she is likely creating them. Practice exams are a great method. When you're struggling with a general concept, it is also often helpful to go to the textbook to look for a clear explanation (especially if your professor's explanation is less than optimal).

One method that is particularly systematic is to write down all the questions you come across while studying or doing homework. Then, bring them to the professor during an office hour, or after class. Again, this conveys genuine effort—not to mention, the fact that you care about learning the material.

Hope this helps!