Is Biochemistry necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Biochemistry necessary? I know some schools require it now but do most dental school applicants take it? Chemistry is not my strength and was wondering what if I just apply to schools that don't require it? or am I better off just taking the class and do the best I can.

Members don't see this ad.

I was recommended to take it by my advisers before applying. I did indeed take it before applying. I found that the majority of schools I applied to require it.

If you don't, you close a lot of doors in terms of schools you can apply to (since, as you said, it is a pre-req at a lot of places). The process is already pretty competitive as is; you'll likely want to give yourself the option of applying broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should take it, in addition to giving you more dental school options, you'll take biochem in dental school anyway so it wouldn't hurt to have some background in it.

Schools recommend it because it'll make your life a heck of a lot easier.

Do ya want to learn it in 2 semesters the first time around or would you rather see the material for the first time and learn it in 2 weeks :D

Is Biochemistry necessary? I know some schools require it now but do most dental school applicants take it? Chemistry is not my strength and was wondering what if I just apply to schools that don't require it? or am I better off just taking the class and do the best I can.

It's becoming a more common requirement. My school requires it and I see why. First week would have sucked without at least some exposure. At least for me. A little micro too. Too much material too fast in my curriculum. It felt like half of a semester of biochm in a couple days.

Anyone take this course online? how challenging was it? can I do it in the summer?

I know TX schools are requiring it for next cycle's applicants.

If you don't, you close a lot of doors in terms of schools you can apply to (since, as you said, it is a pre-req at a lot of places). The process is already pretty competitive as is; you'll likely want to give yourself the option of applying broadly.

Not true. I didn't take biochemistry in undergrad. I also didn't take Calculus II. I was accepted to Harvard, which requires both. They asked me why I hadn't taken it in the interview. I told them point blank, "You're the only school I applied to that required it, so I figured I'd only take it if I was admitted." He said, "Fair enough." The moral of the story is you only have to take pre-reqs to matriculate, not to gain admittance.

I wouldn't take it unless you have to, though. The way biochemistry is taught at our dental school is total BS. We have biochemistry majors failing and people like me who never took it doing really well. Not b/c we know our stuff; we're just good guessers. :)