Is Biomedical Engineering a good major for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drm10

Reaction score
I’m an American sophomore student studying Biomedical Engineering in Japan.
I have lived 2/3 of my life outside the US (7 years in Argentina and almost 6 in Japan). I speak English, Spanish and Japanese fluently.
And I’m planning to go back to the states after living 13 years abroad to transfer to a college in the same major.
And my concern is whether Biomedical Engineering is a good major for medical school or I should choose another major to transfer to.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m an American sophomore student studying Biomedical Engineering in Japan.
I have lived 2/3 of my life outside the US (7 years in Argentina and almost 6 in Japan). I speak English, Spanish and Japanese fluently.
And I’m planning to go back to the states after living 13 years abroad to transfer to a college in the same major.
And my concern is whether Biomedical Engineering is a good major for medical school or I should choose another major to transfer to.

Major doesnt really matter for med school as long as you can complete the required pre-reqs. Do what interests you. Biomed engineering could look impressive IF you can maintain a high GPA. Keep the GPA golden regardless of major.

Reactions: 2 users
Just do what interests you the most or something that would be a good back up plan. Furthermore it’s not worth it doing a harder major if it means a lower GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should choose your major based on what you enjoy and interests you. Unlike the MCAT, your grades, having the necessary prereq classes, and the right ECs, your major is largely irrelevant med schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd highly recommend against it unless you're interested in Biomedical engineering. Its a tough major.

I say it is good to choose something that can have a good job if you don’t get in first round. A generic biology or chemistry degree is not a great degree, so biomedical engineering would be better from a backup plan perspective (I am doing this with Biotech). However, if the courses are difficult or overly burdensome, then I would choose something else so you are not hurting your GPA sand MCAT.

I can't really recommend engineering as a premed major. It is tough and you are basically guaranteed a lower GPA and more than 4 years to graduate. I liked my major (mechanical engineering), but that was before I decided to go to med school. It does open more doors for employment pre-med school, but that's about it.

Reactions: 1 users