Is buying most recent Dr.Collins worth it and does PCAT differ that much year to year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HazelEye

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wondering if buying the most recent DC package is worth the money? The newest one is coming out in about a week, but I'd like to know if forking out money for the brand new one is worth it or will an older version work from 2014? Wondering how much they actually differ with every update and I'd be missing important material. Does the PCAT actually change that much from year to year? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, my test had questions which I had on my study guide. Definitely get the Dr. Collin's.

I used an older version (tossed out all the questions about plants/ecology that was no longer in the actual test), and did fine on the PCAT. In all honesty, a little investment now is worth it for the right prep materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other thing to remember is that Collins often has insight to which questions are "experimental" and can be skipped to save you precious exam time... like this last round of PCAT with the passage based Bio and Chem questions. And like others have said, I had a lot of the same questions from Collins on my exam. If you haven't already, buy the Pearson practice exams as well. All I used was Collins and Pearson and I was happy with my score.

I don't know if you've already scheduled your PCAT, but Collins does an update after each test date so if you're not signed up for the very first one of the 2015-2016 exams then study off the old packets and wait to buy until there is an update from the new round of exams.

I have the 2011 Dr. Collins packet and updates PDF* up to January 2014 that I'm selling for $35
I also have hard copies if you would prefer that but that would be $60
Honestly, it doesn't matter what year you have because it is all the same and you really just need the updates because the real PCAT has some of the same questions on it!

You'd probably be fine with an older version. I didn't even use Collins, I just bought the pearson tests and Kaplan 2015 PCAT book. I think Collins is way overpriced. Especially since you've already learned everything that's on the test in your prereqs.

I have the 2011 Dr. Collins packet and updates PDF* up to January 2014 that I'm selling for $35
Honestly, it doesn't matter what year you have because it is all the same and you really just need the updates because the real PCAT has some of the same questions on it!
I dont know what your talking about when you say PDF because technically, its illegal to sell it in PDF format as you have copied their material, jail worthy..

Hi! Do you have any study materials available for purchase?

I am selling my 2014 Dr. Collins materials. I also have a Kaplan 2014-2015 book and a Barron's 5th Edition prep book. I barely wrote in either one of these books. I am looking to sell everything for $150. Please let me know if you are interested. My email is [email protected] Thanks.

I feel better prepared for the Collin's practice tests. The Pearson tests seem a little bit much for me as far as chem goes. It's feeling like they're asking questions on things I don't remember reviewing. Anyone have any clarity on level of difficulty for pearson test and collins to the actual test?

Reactions: 1 user
I hear a lot of things. Some of the more basic questions are like Collins and Collins also covers the general concepts from the answers of the questions from Pearson. It will not always appear the same or necessarily worded as simple on the real test, but the underlying concept or answer is pretty similar!

I feel better prepared for the Collin's practice tests. The Pearson tests seem a little bit much for me as far as chem goes. It's feeling like they're asking questions on things I don't remember reviewing. Anyone have any clarity on level of difficulty for pearson test and collins to the actual test?

The PCAT is more similar to Pearsons than any versions of the Collins out there.

have the 2015 version of Collins available, I have a post on the free classifieds section for anyone interested or Pm me!