Is C- still passing grade for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Californian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that C- at my undergrad is considered passing. is it same for dental school?
i got a C- in anthropology class this quarter. (C-= 1.7ish below 2.0)

Members don't see this ad.

I know that C- at my undergrad is considered passing. is it same for dental school?
i got a C- in anthropology class this quarter. (C-= 1.7ish below 2.0)

No, most of them will not accept a C-. You're going to have to retake the course. Luckily AADSAS will average your new grade with the old one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then you have to hope that its not a pre-req for dental school

so if the class is not pre-req for dental school it is okay to get a C- in the class is that right?
i got a C- in anthropology class (ex. such as elective classes)

Last edited:
Yes, in electives they are fine. Sorry about that, C-'s for pre-reqs are not acceptable but they are for electives.

C+ is acceptable, dont worry.
adizzle87- thx for your help

C+ is acceptable, dont worry.
adizzle87- thx for your help

lol, thanks I got C+ in "biochem I" but last semester I got B+ in biochem II, maybe it will make up a little bit :cool:

you need to check with your school's admission department. Most accept C+, C not C-, if you do, you may need to remediate the class before entrance.

you need to check with your school's admission department. Most accept C+, C not C-, if you do, you may need to remediate the class before entrance.

what are the % ranges for a "c+" "c" and "c-" down there in the states?

what are the % ranges for a "c+" "c" and "c-" down there in the states?

Many classes are curved or have a more liberal system than the traditional 70, 80, 90 scale. Basically a lot of classes base your grade on relative performance.

If you have a 3.7 overall GPA, a solid DAT/ECs, but received a C- in a pre-req course..will you not be interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a 3.7 overall GPA, a solid DAT/ECs, but received a C- in a pre-req course..will you not be interviewed?

I had a C+ in physics 1... but that was freshman year... I showed a great increasing trend the next three years... with an A in physics 2... but I got interviews with that grade.

Don't know if that helps... I also got a B- in gen chm 1.

(rough start to college... :))

edit: i am not accepted anywhere yet though.. applied late too though.. you should be fine as long as you don't have bd grades for all pre reqs... i think they will overlook one or two at the most as long as the rest of your transcript is OK.

i don't know how many colleges do you report for your pre-reqs. i am taking my pre-req classes at a number of (3 different) community colleges. i took gen chem 1 in one college and got a c in it (it was during my first trimester of pregnancy and many other factors caused a bad grade.) it has been a year since that class and i am going back to antoher community college to continue taking my pre-req classes and i am thinking of retaking that gen chem class for better undrestanding the subject. i will not take any more classes in the first college where i got a C. do i need to report that college on my addsas app? will they find out if i don't? any suggestions?

Instant rejection. Why would you even apply?? Time to change careers at that point.

Are you being serious? Usually people would suggest just re-taking the course, so i'm not sure if there's some sarcasm behind that..

Oh man I made 2 C's in both physic one and two. I got A's and B's in everything else. My overal gpa is around 3.6. Those two C's really brought mine down. I hope they still let me in.

If you know you have a C in a class, ask the teacher if you could do something to get extra credit to raise your grade. Better then taking the class over again

Maybe I'm an anomoly, but I got a C- (one semester) in Organic Chem and have an interview so there is not a complete loss of hope. On the other hand, I scored a 21 on DAT section, have awesome grades every semester since, and had ballin' extracirriculars.

With my school, a C+ is 81-85 and I got a C+ in physics. The ADEA only take letter grade, not percentage. The C+ will look really bad on my transcript, even if i get good scores on the DAT, which i haven't taken yet. My overall science GPA is about 3.445

Any advice? THANK YOU.

With my school, a C+ is 81-85 and I got a C+ in physics. The ADEA only take letter grade, not percentage. The C+ will look really bad on my transcript, even if i get good scores on the DAT, which i haven't taken yet. My overall science GPA is about 3.445

Any advice? THANK YOU.

Don't retake it, as long as it's not a C- your fine. Just try not to get any more and with your science GPA your not in too bad of shape.

Hi, I am a freshman this fall and just bombed my first math course (C-)... should I retake the course or just advance to next one? cuz i realize that if I retake it then i gotta combine 2 marks and average it out right?

Hi, I am a freshman this fall and just bombed my first math course (C-)... should I retake the course or just advance to next one? cuz i realize that if I retake it then i gotta combine 2 marks and average it out right?

It depends on if that class is a prereq. If it is, you'll have to retake it eventually.