• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

Californian

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Los Angeles California
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I know that C- at my undergrad is considered passing. is it same for dental school?
i got a C- in anthropology class this quarter. (C-= 1.7ish below 2.0)

adizzle87

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I know that C- at my undergrad is considered passing. is it same for dental school?
i got a C- in anthropology class this quarter. (C-= 1.7ish below 2.0)

No, most of them will not accept a C-. You're going to have to retake the course. Luckily AADSAS will average your new grade with the old one.

About the Ads

Californian

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Los Angeles California
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
so if the class is not pre-req for dental school it is okay to get a C- in the class is that right?
i got a C- in anthropology class (ex. such as elective classes)

Last edited:

adizzle87

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Yes, in electives they are fine. Sorry about that, C-'s for pre-reqs are not acceptable but they are for electives.

Rajan247

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
you need to check with your school's admission department. Most accept C+, C not C-, if you do, you may need to remediate the class before entrance.

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
you need to check with your school's admission department. Most accept C+, C not C-, if you do, you may need to remediate the class before entrance.

what are the % ranges for a "c+" "c" and "c-" down there in the states?

adizzle87

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
what are the % ranges for a "c+" "c" and "c-" down there in the states?

Many classes are curved or have a more liberal system than the traditional 70, 80, 90 scale. Basically a lot of classes base your grade on relative performance.

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you have a 3.7 overall GPA, a solid DAT/ECs, but received a C- in a pre-req course..will you not be interviewed?

About the Ads

Dentgirl09

10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you have a 3.7 overall GPA, a solid DAT/ECs, but received a C- in a pre-req course..will you not be interviewed?

I had a C+ in physics 1... but that was freshman year... I showed a great increasing trend the next three years... with an A in physics 2... but I got interviews with that grade.

Don't know if that helps... I also got a B- in gen chm 1.

(rough start to college... :))

edit: i am not accepted anywhere yet though.. applied late too though.. you should be fine as long as you don't have bd grades for all pre reqs... i think they will overlook one or two at the most as long as the rest of your transcript is OK.

ZoriBor

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
i don't know how many colleges do you report for your pre-reqs. i am taking my pre-req classes at a number of (3 different) community colleges. i took gen chem 1 in one college and got a c in it (it was during my first trimester of pregnancy and many other factors caused a bad grade.) it has been a year since that class and i am going back to antoher community college to continue taking my pre-req classes and i am thinking of retaking that gen chem class for better undrestanding the subject. i will not take any more classes in the first college where i got a C. do i need to report that college on my addsas app? will they find out if i don't? any suggestions?

supaflyz

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
Oh man I made 2 C's in both physic one and two. I got A's and B's in everything else. My overal gpa is around 3.6. Those two C's really brought mine down. I hope they still let me in.

mr2guysingh

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Bellevue, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you know you have a C in a class, ask the teacher if you could do something to get extra credit to raise your grade. Better then taking the class over again

Lulu2809

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
Michigan
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Maybe I'm an anomoly, but I got a C- (one semester) in Organic Chem and have an interview so there is not a complete loss of hope. On the other hand, I scored a 21 on DAT section, have awesome grades every semester since, and had ballin' extracirriculars.

Mar 18, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
With my school, a C+ is 81-85 and I got a C+ in physics. The ADEA only take letter grade, not percentage. The C+ will look really bad on my transcript, even if i get good scores on the DAT, which i haven't taken yet. My overall science GPA is about 3.445

Any advice? THANK YOU.

Hawkteeth

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
With my school, a C+ is 81-85 and I got a C+ in physics. The ADEA only take letter grade, not percentage. The C+ will look really bad on my transcript, even if i get good scores on the DAT, which i haven't taken yet. My overall science GPA is about 3.445

Any advice? THANK YOU.

Don't retake it, as long as it's not a C- your fine. Just try not to get any more and with your science GPA your not in too bad of shape.

dontistwannabe

5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi, I am a freshman this fall and just bombed my first math course (C-)... should I retake the course or just advance to next one? cuz i realize that if I retake it then i gotta combine 2 marks and average it out right?

Aug 7, 2011
Status (Visible)
Hi, I am a freshman this fall and just bombed my first math course (C-)... should I retake the course or just advance to next one? cuz i realize that if I retake it then i gotta combine 2 marks and average it out right?

It depends on if that class is a prereq. If it is, you'll have to retake it eventually.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.