Is calculus a must have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BERNZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...i was wondering how important it is to have taken calculus in undergrad. I know its not required for the mcat, but do most med. schools require it?

Members don't see this ad.

It's usually not required, but it helps. You will need to take at least a semester, maybe two of math anyway, so it had might as well be calc. A few schools do require calc, so you could check their websites.

It's probably best to take it, so that you don't limit your possibilities.

Take it, it's actually kind of fun. Yes, I am being serious. Plus I think having higher level math helps sharpen your skills for subjects like physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools REQUIRE Calculus, but many don't. Taking Calculus to fulfill the Math requirement is pretty standard nowadays, so you may as well take them.

Also, some schools and some MD/PhD programs require calculus-based Physics. Obviously, to take this, you have to take Calculus first...so my suggestion: Take Calculus!

You don't need it. I took it due to a mistake by my pre-med advisor, but no one has ever said anything about it during any of my interviews. I was the only pre-med to take it in the the group (about 30 people) of pre-meds that I used to run around with.

There are only a small amount of schools that require it. If you are good in math an denjoy math than take it, if not than definetly skip it.

I know physics at my school requires it, because physics is calc based. It is a good idea to take it, IMO.

At my school there were two paths to follow when it came to Physics:
1. Non- calculus based or
2. calculus based.

Most of the kids in the calculus based ones were engineering students.

You can take physics as trig or calc based. Your choice. But some med schools (Penn State Hershey for example) require calc. Might want to consider which schools you are interested in and find out if you will need it or not. Check out the web site for the school you want, it'll tell you if calc is required.

Good luck!

Calculus is not necessary to gain admission to medical school; very few medical schools--prestigious med schools--require calculus for admission. Even so, you can still earn an admission offer from one of these schools without any calculus under your undergrad belt. The requirements for med schools must be completed prior to MATRICULATION (i.e., 1st day of classes), not admission.

In spite of the fact that most med schools do not require it, I still recommend that you take calculus. It's an interesting subject, and it's not that difficult. In fact, calculus per se is easy--it's the algebra that kills people! Calculus will provide you with yet another perspective on phenomena, and broadening your perspective is key in college.

Forget Calc, take stats
:)

Some undergraduate schools require calc for certain degrees.

I think nearly every Hopkins undergrad has to take at least Calc I. For example, public health majors have to take Calc I. Why they need it? I dont know.

Bio majors must take Calc 1 + Calc 2.
*sigh* those classes made my freshman year a nightmare.