Is COMLEX 3 required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjustcuious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if DOs can just take Step 3 or is COMLEX 3 required?

Members don't see this ad.

Required for like 5-6 states. I think PA is one of them.

Last edited:
Just take Level 3. It’s cake to pass. It just creates less headaches, even with how tempting it is to try and stick it to the NBOME

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just take Level 3. It’s cake to pass. It just creates less headaches, even with how tempting it is to try and stick it to the NBOME
Was hoping I could avoid taking Level and Step again =(

Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t have to take Step 3. There isn’t really a benefit to it.

If you’re a DO I see no point in taking Step 3.

I'm one of the ones not taking COMLEX 3, but it's specifically because my COMLEX scores are hot trash historically relative to my good USMLE scores and I have no intent of practicing in the states that require it.

I think if you're at risk of failing COMLEX (technically I wasn't but very low) but for some reason do well on USMLE, that is a viable circumstance.

Niche nitpicking though.

I'm confused..do IM fellowships not look at Step 3 scores??
No. Fellowship isn’t like residency. Both step and level 3s are cake walk so fellowships don’t care. Fellowship selection is more focused on your body of work from residency including research and LoR. Your step 1/2 are sufficient to prove you are smart enough to pass boards

Reactions: 1 user
I'm one of the ones not taking COMLEX 3, but it's specifically because my COMLEX scores are hot trash historically relative to my good USMLE scores and I have no intent of practicing in the states that require it.

I think if you're at risk of failing COMLEX (technically I wasn't but very low) but for some reason do well on USMLE, that is a viable circumstance.

Niche nitpicking though.

IMO, it's a risky move to go off the beaten path. I agree that legal codes seem to say that you don't *need* level 3. But medical boards are very bureaucratic and the acceptance of your application by the MD medical board might hit a few snaggles if they aren't used to DO graduates opting for MD licensing. The people who work at these boards are often just random administrative/HR government workers.

You might be forced to take level 3 anyways after a protracted back and forth. Even if you don't hit any speedbumps now, you might hit some later if you decide to move states or practice locums.

Personally, I think the safer path is to opt for level 3. Or at least email the MD board and confirm that they accept DOs opting for MD licensing, so you have something in writing if you hit pushback later.

Ended up taking Level 3. Never took the PE. I don't trust Gimpel and wanted to get it outta the way before they come up with something.

IMO, it's a risky move to go off the beaten path. I agree that legal codes seem to say that you don't *need* level 3. But medical boards are very bureaucratic and the acceptance of your application by the MD medical board might hit a few snaggles if they aren't used to DO graduates opting for MD licensing. The people who work at these boards are often just random administrative/HR government workers.

You might be forced to take level 3 anyways after a protracted back and forth. Even if you don't hit any speedbumps now, you might hit some later if you decide to move states or practice locums.

Personally, I think the safer path is to opt for level 3. Or at least email the MD board and confirm that they accept DOs opting for MD licensing, so you have something in writing if you hit pushback later.

Is it possible that I could contact the state board and see what their take on it would be? I obviously don't want to create any hiccups but I also have a hard time believing that I'm the first person who has considered doing this.

Is it possible that I could contact the state board and see what their take on it would be? I obviously don't want to create any hiccups but I also have a hard time believing that I'm the first person who has considered doing this.
Probably not the first one to consider it but certainly might be the first to successfully complete it. It’s just not worth it because level 3 is the mainstream easy way to do it, there may be hiccups in your future, level 3 (and step 3) is easy, and fellowships don’t select based on it. You are essentially making it harder on yourself (and possibly limiting yourself in the future) just to stick it to NBOME. Which do you but it’s so much easier just to take level 3

I don't think doing this was on anyone's radar prior to covid. The only reason everyone started wondering was because nbome was playing hardball with PE when NBME had already dropped CS.

And yeah, all state licensing boards should have ways to contact them.

Which states are these that only want level 3?, and does it matter for board certification at all or is that something else, like can you still be ABIM instead of ABOIM certified for example if you took level 3?...

Which states are these that only want level 3?, and does it matter for board certification at all or is that something else, like can you still be ABIM instead of ABOIM certified for example if you took level 3?...
Yes. The only thing that mattered for like ABS vs ABOS was that you graduate an ACGME program, which with the merger is everyone now

Honestly there is no point in taking Step 3 if you’re a DO. Plenty (if not all) DOs that take step 1 and step 2, never take Step 3.
Just take Comlex 3 and move on with your life, it’s simply a state licensure requirement to be a fully licensed physician, and all states accept it. And all board specialties accept it too, because it’s just a requirement for full licensure in a state, it has nothing to do with specialty board exams.

And actually, if you’re residency and even fellowship trained and some board speciality exam application says comlex 3 is not accepted (which wouldn’t happen), you would sue and win 100% lol. So don’t worry, save your money and trouble and just take Comlex 3.
Also… in most states, if you don’t take comlex 3, (and decide to take step 3 and pass), you most likely wouldn’t get the license and unable to practice medicine —because you would need to complete all 3 levels of comlex anyway.