Is Committee letter enough or should I add additional strong letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boredsail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad has a committee and I have a letter written by them that supports my app for med school. There are none of my other individual recommendations attached to it like in a letter packet. Should I send schools this committee letter with some of the individual recommendation letters I have stored in Interfolio, or just the committee letter?

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad has a committee and I have a letter written by them that supports my app for med school. There are none of my other individual recommendations attached to it like in a letter packet. Should I send schools this committee letter with some of the individual recommendation letters I have stored in Interfolio, or just the committee letter?
Have mercy on us who have to read these things. The committee letter is fine

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hijack, but on a related note, if your school sends a committee letter and the other letters attached as a packet, do adcoms generally read the other letters or just rely on the recap in the committee letter? My committee chair said I had some of the best letters he ever read, so it would kind be a shame if people only read the recap…

Sorry to hijack, but on a related note, if your school sends a committee letter and the other letters attached as a packet, do adcoms generally read the other letters or just rely on the recap in the committee letter? My committee chair said I had some of the best letters he ever read, so it would kind be a shame if people only read the recap…
It is program-dependent and depends on what one is looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
If you submit it, we have to read it before rendering a decision. That's why we place limitations (and why additional letters will work against you).

• Love
If you submit it, we have to read it before rendering a decision. That's why we place limitations (and why additional letters will work against you).
Does that mean the additional letters as in the ones the committee sends with their letter as a packet, or additional as in I decided to send in a couple more after the committee letter and packet was sent in?

Does that mean the additional letters as in the ones the committee sends with their letter as a packet, or additional as in I decided to send in a couple more after the committee letter and packet was sent in?
The letters in the committee packet are not "additional," they are just part of the packet.

Piling on more letters generally isn't helpful, and in some circumstances can be harmful.

• Love
Please don't do this.

• Love