Is CPR necessary in Medschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techerguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that are in medical school,

I am a current applicant.

I've been volunteering in a hospital for a while, and recently they wanted me to renew my CPR. I could either renew (and spend time and $$) or stop volunteering. I was wondering, since most medical schools have shadowing or some kind of primary care preceptorship during the first two years, is it a good idea to have CPR anyways?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We all got certified to do CPR during orientation week. I'd imagine other schools would provide you with CPR training but that's something to check at each school.

We got CPR certified during M1 orientation, paid for by the school (i.e. tuition dollars).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies! In this case, if we are already certified (BLS), do we still need to get CPR certified during orientation? Or is it so trivial that we might as well since it was more like an icebreaker.

We had CPR training during orientation as well.

As far as getting out of it goes...I doubt it. You could try. But it's honestly probably not worth the trouble. Besides, you already paid for it. ;)

Thanks for your replies! In this case, if we are already certified (BLS), do we still need to get CPR certified during orientation? Or is it so trivial that we might as well since it was more like an icebreaker.

I was already certified as well, but they made everyone in the class go through the training session so that our certifications all expire at the same time and we get certified again in M3. A lot less hassle on the administration so they don't have to track down 150 students to get re-certified at different times.

I was already certified as well, but they made everyone in the class go through the training session so that our certifications all expire at the same time and we get certified again in M3. A lot less hassle on the administration so they don't have to track down 150 students to get re-certified at different times.
My experience exactly. I think it's pretty standard. Most schools will have their M1's do BLS during orientation and then do ACLS in M3.

ACLS is always a waste of money no matter when you take the class.

We had BLS orientation throughout the school year, it was a pre-condition before you could onto M2. If you had prior BLS, as long as it didn't expire before M2 began, you were set.