Is dentistry for me and is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brown mamba 23

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I am thinking of going into dentistry or business. I am not sure which one i will be more happy in. Many people say to 'do what you like best' but the thing with me is that there aren't many job out there that interests me.
After much research, dentistry, entrepreneurship, and business are a few careers that I think I would like but I am not sure which one I should do.

-I live being the boss of projects and many other things
-I want a job with a high salary
-I am a pretty smart student in high school right now.
-I am very good at science and math.
-I like helping others.
-I am highly energetic.

I like dentistry because of helping others, the lifestyle, and the money.
I like business because of a chill job, laid back, and work at your pace (a little.)'
I like entrepreneurship because I like new ideas, being my own boss and it sounds laid back also.

Which career would fit me more? Please help guys and thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, good on you for researching this stuff so early.

Feel free to PM the dentists who post on SDN and ask if they'd be up for helping you understand what business/entrepreneurship is like in dentistry.

Go shadow some dentists, at least one that owns their office to see how the business portion comes into play. See for yourself whether you like the lifestyle and the work or not.

Excellent advice.
 
take pre requisite classes such as anatomy, orgo, bio etc and decide if u want to stick to the dental field. i have met people who were straight A students in high school but did poorly in science classes in university that they have realized medical/dental school is not for them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I am thinking of going into dentistry or business. I am not sure which one i will be more happy in. Many people say to 'do what you like best' but the thing with me is that there aren't many job out there that interests me.
After much research, dentistry, entrepreneurship, and business are a few careers that I think I would like but I am not sure which one I should do.

-I live being the boss of projects and many other things
-I want a job with a high salary
-I am a pretty smart student in high school right now.
-I am very good at science and math.
-I like helping others.
-I am highly energetic.

I like dentistry because of helping others, the lifestyle, and the money.
I like business because of a chill job, laid back, and work at your pace (a little.)'
I like entrepreneurship because I like new ideas, being my own boss and it sounds laid back also.

Which career would fit me more? Please help guys and thanks!
Professional surfer.
 
Hey, I am thinking of going into dentistry or business. I am not sure which one i will be more happy in. Many people say to 'do what you like best' but the thing with me is that there aren't many job out there that interests me.
After much research, dentistry, entrepreneurship, and business are a few careers that I think I would like but I am not sure which one I should do.

-I live being the boss of projects and many other things
-I want a job with a high salary
-I am a pretty smart student in high school right now.
-I am very good at science and math.
-I like helping others.
-I am highly energetic.

I like dentistry because of helping others, the lifestyle, and the money.
I like business because of a chill job, laid back, and work at your pace (a little.)'
I like entrepreneurship because I like new ideas, being my own boss and it sounds laid back also.

Which career would fit me more? Please help guys and thanks!
I believe it is almost impossible to work "a little" and have a successful business. Anything you go for will take a lot of hard work and time. As suggested by others take some classes and see what you like. Make sure you really want it before you commit. Good luck my friend.