Is EM residency pregnancy friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes this is primarily in regards to the m**k issue. Also agree to disagree on the banning issue but I appreciate you taking the time to explain the reasoning.
Repeat banned users get banned again, for smaller infractions than users that are screwing up their first time. With what part do you disagree? Do you believe that people that just want to agitate should have free reign, with no restriction or risk? Reread the TOS and "Values and Visions" to reorient yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My perception wasn’t that he was agitating. Hence agreeing to disagree. But it’s not my decision so doesn’t matter at the end of the day anyway. I’ll get to re-reading the TOS and “Values and Visions” as soon as I get through my Microsoft Office Subscription TOD and the owner’s manual for my car. Promise.
Unnecessary snark. The dude(?) was posting inflammatory stuff. Also, it wasn't only in this thread or forum.

Reactions: 2 users
My perception wasn’t that he was agitating. Hence agreeing to disagree. But it’s not my decision so doesn’t matter at the end of the day anyway. I’ll get to re-reading the TOS and “Values and Visions” as soon as I get through reading my Microsoft Office Subscription TOS and the owner’s manual for my car. Promise.
Summer re-reads:

SDN TOS & Visions and Values
PDR
Old Testament

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Unnecessary snark. The dude(?) was posting inflammatory stuff. Also, it wasn't only in this thread or forum.
We usually run off the trolls pretty well on our own, vigilante style. I guess we failed. Come to think of it, I was ignoring this thread pretty hard, since I thought the answer to the OPs question was self-evident and that there wasn't really anything to discuss. Apparently, I missed all the fun.

Hey, McNinja. If you're reading, get a new anonymous screen name and get back on here.

You know...there is a lot of **** that people write on SDN that I think it terrible. One thing is having an opinion on something, make a comment, and move on. On the other hand is repeatedly writing the same thing over and over and over and over.....and making it even more charged and incendiary than your original post.

He first wrote something about how it isn't fair here....fine. No big deal. But he kept on coming back and back and arguing more......and the last thing he wrote was just terrible. I see no problem getting rid of this guy.

He isn't going to jail. he has a right to say this stuff. But if he were at a bar saying these kinds of things any of the following outcomes would happen, in no particular order:

1) people around him would move far away from his jibber-jabber
2) people around him would punch him in the face
3) the bar would kick him out

That's essentially what we did here.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Don’t let your training delay family planning. If now is the best time for you and your family, you can make it work!

My first was 6 months old when I started intern year. Successfully pumped for a year throughout shifts with zero issue and a very supportive program. Am now pregnant in my third year (as are a few other co residents) and have my schedule set up so that I won’t have to graduate late, but will still get 6-8 weeks at home (using vacation time from last year + this year + an at home elective).

With good chiefs and a supportive PD and faculty, you can be both a great resident and a great mom!

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk! Best of luck

Reactions: 2 users
I'd agree with this. If a place is openly going to be biased against you for having kids, why would you want to go there?

Agreed. We must choose residencies that are complimentary with out preferred lifestyles. Do not go to a residency in Peoria if you want to ski every afternoon.

It doesn't matter. Most people who have a baby in residency takes 6 weeks of maternity leave. You work around it. That's normal life. Residency is no different than any other aspect of the hospital. \

I greatly disagree.

Residency is VERY different than nearly all other aspects of the hospital. It's is scary to me that an aPD doesnt't recognize these obvious differences. Indeed, I would avoid a residency lead by people who are unable to see these differences.

If you are 30 and you want a kid, then I would recommend having one. Honestly it's way more important than the medical specialty you want to go into.

The principle reason is it's easier to be a young parent than be an old parent. I know because I have two teenage kids and I'm in my mid 40s. I also went to medical school at age 30, but it's different for me because I'm a man and you are a woman.

The sooner you have kids, the sooner you get to get rid of them. :)

Agreed. It is hard. Just don't expect the other residents in your program to pick up the slack. We all desire free time to develop our familial relationships. There is no reason an vaginally-delivered person is of more value than an adopted youngster (by a homosexual couple) or an adopted sibling...or an "adoped" disabled grandparent.

HH

• Dislike
Do not go to a residency in Peoria if you want to ski every afternoon.

I went to residency in Peoria.
During some winters skiing was the best way to get to the hospital. Or sliding... mostly sliding the car sideways across the ice.

But I'm being intentionally obtuse; your point is valid.

• Haha
To the OP , have you thought about pregnancy at the end of your 3rd year with a newborn during your 4th year? While having a 1 year old as an intern isn’t easy, child care can be easier and 4th year would could have more time to deal with a newborn.

Our chief had a little girl in our second year and she was still a rockstar. That's with a surgical sub-specialty husband in training. I have 2 kids, one born in medschool and the other in residency. I'm a man with an amazing wife who has an amazing work from home job so not the same thing at all but in my opinion there is never the "perfect time" to have children. If you want children you will make it work no matter what and it they will be what motivates you to get through any challenges. Remember this is a job and your family is the most important thing. If a program isn't supportive of that then move along to the next one.

To the OP , have you thought about pregnancy at the end of your 3rd year with a newborn during your 4th year? While having a 1 year old as an intern isn’t easy, child care can be easier and 4th year would could have more time to deal with a newborn.
Yeah we've determined this would be ideal but unfortunately right now for medical school we're doing a semi-long distance relationship (2 hours away) for 1/2 of the week because my husband has a state job and can't leave the state we are from unless he stops working (not ideal since i'm incomeless). For residency the plan is to go back to our home state but if that doesnt work out, we'll just full on have to move and start our lives in a different city. Because of this, we decided that right now wont be the best time since my husband would barely get to see the little one in the beginning of his/her life.

I greatly disagree.

Residency is VERY different than nearly all other aspects of the hospital. It's is scary to me that an aPD doesnt't recognize these obvious differences. Indeed, I would avoid a residency lead by people who are unable to see these differences.

And it is scary to me that there are misogynist physicians who don't want to allow women the basic human right of having a child while a resident. Women make up the time they missed. They aren't being granted any special favors. The schedule is more than flexible enough to accommodate.

Reactions: 4 users
And it is scary to me that there are misogynist physicians who don't want to allow women the basic human right of having a child while a resident.

My post had an unnecessarily antagonistic tone and, in a way, I called you out for not being able to identify or acknowledge the ways in which residents and residency are so very different than all other forms of hospital employment. For attaching my point to you personally and for my antagonistic tone, I apologize.

Perhaps I deserved a snippy response from you.

However, in absolutely no way was my post "misogynistic". In no way. Furthermore, none of my post is evidence that I am "misogynist physician(s)". This line of attack is inappropriate, dismissive, and wrong.

Additionally, my post has absolutely nothing to do with the ludicrous claim that I "don't want to allow women the basic human right of having a child while a resident."

Again, I apologize for my tone and for identifying you personally with the inability of many to distinguish residency from all other forms of employment. I will try again, this time with more focus, to not personalize in this forum. In return, I request you make an effort to avoid slander. We can both be better than this.

HH

Reactions: 1 users
My post had an unnecessarily antagonistic tone and, in a way, I called you out for not being able to identify or acknowledge the ways in which residents and residency are so very different than all other forms of hospital employment. For attaching my point to you personally and for my antagonistic tone, I apologize.

Perhaps I deserved a snippy response from you.

However, in absolutely no way was my post "misogynistic". In no way. Furthermore, none of my post is evidence that I am "misogynist physician(s)". This line of attack is inappropriate, dismissive, and wrong.

Additionally, my post has absolutely nothing to do with the ludicrous claim that I "don't want to allow women the basic human right of having a child while a resident."

Again, I apologize for my tone and for identifying you personally with the inability of many to distinguish residency from all other forms of employment. I will try again, this time with more focus, to not personalize in this forum. In return, I request you make an effort to avoid slander. We can both be better than this.

HH

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. It seemed to me like you were inferring that you agreed women shouldnt be allowed to get pregnant in residency. If that is not what you were saying, then yeah I apologize I misunderstood.