Is Genetics a must-take for Medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonton000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
This is my first post ever and I hope everyone's doing great.

So here's why I ask bring up this topic:
During my sophomore year (I'm a Junior right now), I decided to change my major to drop Genetics class (got a W on my transcript). There was a lot going with my family and I was taking honors and Ochem at the same time. The professor for that class expected a lot from her students (homework, classwork, presentations, exams, and papers). I do not want to vent on here, I admitted that I did not like Genetics in general so I fell behind in that class.

Anyways, my question is that, should I re-take Genetics during the Summer (with the same professor) OR re-take it during my Senior year (maybe with a different professor) OR I should not bother re-taking it?

The problem is that I'm an international student (the chances getting into med schools are slimmer) and I don't want the admins to question the big W on my transcript. If I re-take it, then maybe I can have a better chance?

Please give me some advice on this, and thank you so much for your time!

P/S: My GPA is 3.95 for now (I don't know if giving this information would help).

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend it!! Personally I wish it were a pre-req, along with Biochem and/or Cell Bio.

Agree very much with this!

The new MCAT is VERY heavy in these subjects. If you know them well, you will ace the Bio section and even possible the Chem/Physics section!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
This is my first post ever and I hope everyone's doing great.

So here's why I ask bring up this topic:
During my sophomore year (I'm a Junior right now), I decided to change my major to drop Genetics class (got a W on my transcript). There was a lot going with my family and I was taking honors and Ochem at the same time. The professor for that class expected a lot from her students (homework, classwork, presentations, exams, and papers). I do not want to vent on here, I admitted that I did not like Genetics in general so I fell behind in that class.

Anyways, my question is that, should I re-take Genetics during the Summer (with the same professor) OR re-take it during my Senior year (maybe with a different professor) OR I should not bother re-taking it?

The problem is that I'm an international student (the chances getting into med schools are slimmer) and I don't want the admins to question the big W on my transcript. If I re-take it, then maybe I can have a better chance?

Please give me some advice on this, and thank you so much for your time!

P/S: My GPA is 3.95 for now (I don't know if giving this information would help).

It's not a prereq at most schools, but trust me when I say that it'll become more and more important in medicine. We are very close to an age where everyone will have their genomes sequenced and this will be used to inform their healthcare.

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend it!! Personally I wish it were a pre-req, along with Biochem and/or Cell Bio.
It's not a prereq at most schools, but trust me when I say that it'll become more and more important in medicine. We are very close to an age where everyone will have their genomes sequenced and this will be used to inform their healthcare.

Cell biology, biochemistry, molecular biology and genetics are essentially the main biology courses that anyone serious about pursuing medicine should take. Why? Well, much of the research driving medicine rests on the key concepts in these four areas. Plus, medicine is becoming increasingly personalized (via the precision medicine initiative) that accounts for individual variations in genes (plus the environmental and sociocultural factors involved).

Beyond the short-term goals of getting into medical schools, I think these courses are valuable in their own right, as they provide essential insight into medical research and practice.

Reactions: 2 users