Is getting a MPH lead to a lucrative career/job prospect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seji

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting an MPH, but I'm curious as to whether the advanced degree will give me access to lucrative job or career prospects?

Does anyone know the typical starting salaries of graduates of MPH programs? The program I'm looking at is Health Management or Health Policy at a university in California. Does anyone know which is more lucrative Management or Policy? and if it is easy to get a job after graduating? I'm also interested in Epidemiology and Environmental Health, can anyone tell me which offers the most options careerwise?

The programs that I've been looking into have an internship requirement, and with someone with little to no relevant work experience and no other advanced degree (MD or DO as some students in MPH have), is this good enough to start a career by itself?

Members don't see this ad.

By lucrative, I mean starting out at 50k-60k and moving to possibly 90-100k with 5-7 years of solid work

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it is possible. I'm considering getting an MBA along with my MPH to increase my potential for promotions at the executive level. I may also pursue an DrPH or PHD (not only for salary, of course, but it most certainty would not hurt my salary).

If you're only looking at salary, go straight for an MBA. An MPH, for the most part, is not going to be relevant in executive level positions where PH coursework is not useful.

isn't the mph, especially in management, one of the only ways to gain entry into these positions in the first place? An mba would just be for much later in the career as I would presume right?

And can everyone elaborate more on possible? does that mean probably so or likely but only with a lot of successful work?

isn't the mph, especially in management, one of the only ways to gain entry into these positions in the first place? An mba would just be for much later in the career as I would presume right?

And can everyone elaborate more on possible? does that mean probably so or likely but only with a lot of successful work?

Never think that a degree is the only way into a job. It is usually the typical way. By having too many degrees, you lock yourself out of many entry level jobs because you become "over qualified", which basically means you're too expensive to employ.

Only get as many degrees as you need to get where you want to go. Degrees simply reduce the barrier of entry into a profession (unless you're talking an academic or research job where doctoral-level research training is a mandatory requirement or medical training to become a board certified physician). MPH and MBA are not requirements into any profession, but they do provide skills which many employers find useful. Particularly in a profession like management where the degrees are less about technical skills you learn and about overall strategy.

A good place to begin looking for what level of education you should shoot for is by looking at job openings that you might be interested in and seeing what their desired traits are. You may find that a master's-level degree is often unnecessary or superfluous.

Internships are a good place to start, too. That will get you the slight experience you need to be competitive for an entry-level position.

If you're only looking at salary, go straight for an MBA. An MPH, for the most part, is not going to be relevant in executive level positions where PH coursework is not useful.

I agree in the sense that if I wanted to work for a big company or a big accounting firm. However, a MPH/MBA dual degree I would think would help if one wanted to become a hospital CEO or president of a larger public health group. Surely, if I worked for a hospital, having an MPH and a MBA and not just a MBA would be helpful, as that person would have some sense of public health.

Never think that a degree is the only way into a job. It is usually the typical way. By having too many degrees, you lock yourself out of many entry level jobs because you become "over qualified", which basically means you're too expensive to employ.

Only get as many degrees as you need to get where you want to go. Degrees simply reduce the barrier of entry into a profession (unless you're talking an academic or research job where doctoral-level research training is a mandatory requirement or medical training to become a board certified physician). MPH and MBA are not requirements into any profession, but they do provide skills which many employers find useful. Particularly in a profession like management where the degrees are less about technical skills you learn and about overall strategy.

A good place to begin looking for what level of education you should shoot for is by looking at job openings that you might be interested in and seeing what their desired traits are. You may find that a master's-level degree is often unnecessary or superfluous.

Internships are a good place to start, too. That will get you the slight experience you need to be competitive for an entry-level position.

I do agree with this in many cases. A lot of the times, its just how you work your way up in a job, and not the number of degrees you have. However, I still have an interest in both health and business, and think the degrees may be worth getting together. I know there are some schools that offer these types of jobs. I also don't want to be stuck with a low paying job with lots of loans. I'm fine working my way up, but as long as my salary allows me to live comfortably.

I work full time and go to school full time. I will have my MPH in December and my focus is in Healthcare Management. I currently work in hospital administration and expect to move up and get a bump in salary after graduation. I plan on being a COO in 10 yrs. I know quite a bit of COOs and CEOs with just an MPH. In Administration its all about what you have done and less about where you went. Having the Masters degree only gets you in the door, getting an MBA as well wont really give you an edge, its almost superfluous.

Last edited:
I work full time and go to school full time. I will have my MPH in December and my focus is in Healthcare Management. I currently work in hospital administration and expect to move up and get a bump in salary after graduation. I plan on being a COO in 10 yrs. I know quite a bit of COOs and CEOs with just an MPH. In Administration its all about what you have done and less about where you went. Having the Masters degree only gets you in the door, getting an MBA as well wont really give you an edge, its almost superfluous.

I guess it depends on the person and individual situations. There are some schools with these dual degrees (Emory, for example), but maybe it’s not even worth going through the MBA program. Really, as long as I have a stable job I like making a comfortable salary, I'll be happy. Since we're on the topic of salary from the OP, what type of salary would one expect in an administrative position with a MPH and the estimated salary of the COOs with an MPH. I'm sure it's a wide range, and I hate to make it seem like it's all about the money, but it's nice to know we all have opportunities.

I think it depends on whether you know how to market your MPH.

Personally, I'm leaving an already "lucrative" career (at least full-time anyway) for my MPH studies. I have no intention of starting off making less than 50k after I've completed my studies....it's just not an option for my background, and I know exactly which positions I will and will not apply for and how to market myself to get into those jobs.

I would not go back for an MPH if it would hurt my long term, future earning power. Shrewd, but realistic.

Last edited:
I think it depends on whether you know how to market your MPH.

Personally, I'm leaving an already "lucrative" career (at least full-time anyway) for my MPH studies. I have no intention of starting off making less than 50k after I've completed my studies....it's just not an option for my background, and I know exactly which positions I will and will not apply for and how to market myself to get into those jobs.

I would not go back for an MPH if it would hurt my earning power. Shrewd, but realistic.

@eckerd, may i ask what field you work in and what MPH are you going for?

@zmlkch,
entry level management (coordinator/manager) between 45-65,
mid level (director/department head) - 70 -95
senior level (CEO, COO, CNO, CFO, CCO) - 97 -the sky

its important to note that the type of hospital and census of patients are crucial when it comes to positions and salaries. A CEO in a government hospital is looking at 110, in a non profit maybe 220, in a for-profit the sky. In healthcare MPH, MBA, MHA do not differentiate salaries, they're all on the same level, its all about how you utilize and market it. youre degree must be healthcare related tho

Members don't see this ad :)

@zmlkch,

If you're thinking nonprofit work (which you probably aren't), take 10k off those figures, depending on the size of the NP (and perhaps even a little more off in areas with a lower cost of living).

so i want to know if this is a field to go in for jobs/and for the money? can one expect a lucrative salary?

I'm pretty sure the above posters have answered this question. Is public health (by and large) a setting where you're going to make boat loads of money? No. If you're looking for a lucrative career and want to stay in healthcare, you should probably go the industry route like pharma, biotech, consulting. Only a small number of people will make bank in the high level hospital executive positions.

I'm pretty sure the above posters have answered this question. Is public health (by and large) a setting where you're going to make boat loads of money? No. If you're looking for a lucrative career and want to stay in healthcare, you should probably go the industry route like pharma, biotech, consulting. Only a small number of people will make bank in the high level hospital executive positions.

Is it better to get an MBA or MHA degree for such positions~or at least in pursuit of hopefully attaining such a position one day? MBA programs seem to be a lot tougher on the employment record then MHA programs are, correct?

I think the key is to look for a program that has historically good connections "feeding" students into hosital admin/managment positions after graduation. In terms of MBA versus MHA - I think it's probably a toss up. If you're looking into MBA programs, look for ones w/ health managment concentrations because those will be most applicable. And yes, my understanding is that MBA programs will require prior work experience prior to acceptance/enrollment, whereas MHA programs will accept 'greener' students.

@zmlkch,

its important to note that the type of hospital and census of patients are crucial when it comes to positions and salaries. A CEO in a government hospital is looking at 110, in a non profit maybe 220, in a for-profit the sky. In healthcare MPH, MBA, MHA do not differentiate salaries, they're all on the same level, its all about how you utilize and market it. youre degree must be healthcare related tho

I'm an RN, going for MPH in community health/health promotion.

With your definition of lucrative, yes it is definitely possible. But if you want to be filthy rich, I do not think you should depend on an MPH solely.

By lucrative, I mean starting out at 50k-60k and moving to possibly 90-100k with 5-7 years of solid work

With your definition of lucrative, yes it is definitely possible. But if you want to be filthy rich, I do not think you should depend on an MPH solely.

Additionally, if you want to be filthy (or even kinda) rich, I'm not entirely convinced an MPH is the correct degree for you nor that public health would be the correct field for you.

@zmlkch,

I think I'm interested in ultimately working as an administrator, like manager, director, etc. I know it takes experience to get there, but I was wondering if you have any thoughts on what types of initial positions are appropriate for that career path, like rt out of grad school?

I've seen that a lot of MHA folks work as Project Coordinators, and I don't feel that'll be a good match for me. So I was wondering if you have thoughts on what some other alternatives are for an entry-level job after the MPH, if I'm interested in administration?

I think I'm interested in ultimately working as an administrator, like manager, director, etc. I know it takes experience to get there, but I was wondering if you have any thoughts on what types of initial positions are appropriate for that career path, like rt out of grad school?

I've seen that a lot of MHA folks work as Project Coordinators, and I don't feel that'll be a good match for me. So I was wondering if you have thoughts on what some other alternatives are for an entry-level job after the MPH, if I'm interested in administration?

Do an administrative fellowship.

Additionally, if you want to be filthy (or even kinda) rich, I'm not entirely convinced an MPH is the correct degree for you nor that public health would be the correct field for you.

what are some good alternatives?