Is Goljan really that good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B-Daddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

I asked a few MS2's at my school that are preping for the Step 1 and they said they never heard of the guy. Is he a localized phenomena or does everyone use his reviews?

I'm an MS1 and will definitely need any edge on the Step 1 and help in Path. My drive to school is 30 min each way and thought that if I started to listen to Goljan at the beginning of next year as I transit back and forth it might help out.

The big question, is he BS or do average people have real results that they can comment on? People that are at the top of their class with straight A's are already smart as hell so they will probably get a high score on the boards anyway, thus if they post their success with using Goljan it is hard to tell if it was Goljan or the student. Thanks.

Good luck to all of you taking your boards in the upcoming months!

Members don't see this ad.

Goljan is the real deal my man. I took the path shelf today and there was stuff on there that I would have straight missed if I hadnt listened to goljan. One of the biggest mistakes I made was not listening to him early enough, I am gonna go thru all his stuff before i take the step, esp seeing how much he helped me for the shelf exam. by the way, Im an average student. I get about class average, sometimes below; sometimes above by a couple points. There have been a few times where I totally destroyed some tests and that was cuz of the edge u get from how to study for certain tests on SDN. word up

later

Like omar said he is the real deal. I'm an average student myself, I score a little above the mean in almost all my second year exams. But when it came time to take the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Exam at the end of second year I scored above 2 SDs my class mean. I would say at least 20-40 questions (out of 200) came from his lecture. We'll see how it goes in 2 months when I take step I.

I took step one last year and there were several questions that Goljan had said you just gotta know this, and sure enough, it was on my test. And I would have missed a lot of those questions if it were not for his review. I have to say his stuff is very high yield.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello
Sorry about posting such a silly little technical question.
I've got step 1 coming up in June.
Part of program included going to the gym each night and listening to goljan on my ipod.
Thing is = iTunes tells me that it doesn't recognize the types of files i'm trying to import. the Goljan lectures open up just fine for me with windows media player, and the files are .mp3.

thanks!

the way he explains stuff was amazing. Really simplified some stuff, like heme/lymph stuff.

I found it great to listen to him. But I caution you to not rely on his audio soley for your path review.

Its a great suppliment to his RR book, or any other reviewbook.

greenpink said:
Hello
Sorry about posting such a silly little technical question.
I've got step 1 coming up in June.
Part of program included going to the gym each night and listening to goljan on my ipod.
Thing is = iTunes tells me that it doesn't recognize the types of files i'm trying to import. the Goljan lectures open up just fine for me with windows media player, and the files are .mp3.

thanks!

Use Goldwave to convert them. The free trial is more than enough for this. You can convert back to mp3 again or to other formats. You can also replace the existing files to avoid clutter. Use "batch processing" from the file menu (this will occupy your comp for a while). To replace the original with the converted click on <folder> in batch processing and click on <overwrite existing files> . If you play around with the program you should figure it out.

I-tunes can do it for you.

Just load the file into your itunes, right click on the file and select "convert to AAC". Once the files are converted to AAC files, you can transfer them onto your ipod

At OSU, where he teaches, we had everyone pass the COMLEX and every student that took USMLE (~45) passed it. I can personally attest to how good his stuff/technique is, but I could be an outlier.

lmbebo said:
the way he explains stuff was amazing. Really simplified some stuff, like heme/lymph stuff.

I found it great to listen to him. But I caution you to not rely on his audio soley for your path review.

Its a great suppliment to his RR book, or any other reviewbook.

Is his WBC pathology a bit scarce to anyone? RBC path was fantastic.

i dont remember 1 question on wbc path. he doesn't spend much time on it because its not a big area to spend talking.

granted, I still dont understand wbc path that well, but he can't go over all of path in 1 week.

wish he would have gone over the cns tumors as well..

he goes over some stuff very briefly because they're not very high yield stuff

If there was a Goljan for every subject life would be good

hey:
your advice re: the ipod muchly appreciated.
got the files uploaded last night and had a great workout today to 'fluid and hemodynamics'

good day to you guys --

pink. :)

does anyone know how well Goljen works for the Boards? Dr. Smiles seemed to like it, but i was looking for more "testimonials" on whether this is really worth my time for step 1...4 weeks and counting!
I am a bit above average in the classroom and am hoping for a "good" step 1 score- say 230 or so. will Goljan get me there? combined with First aid /qbank and a variety of BRS/HY?
thanks,
streetdoc

B-Daddy said:

I asked a few MS2's at my school that are preping for the Step 1 and they said they never heard of the guy. Is he a localized phenomena or does everyone use his reviews?

I'm an MS1 and will definitely need any edge on the Step 1 and help in Path. My drive to school is 30 min each way and thought that if I started to listen to Goljan at the beginning of next year as I transit back and forth it might help out.

The big question, is he BS or do average people have real results that they can comment on? People that are at the top of their class with straight A's are already smart as hell so they will probably get a high score on the boards anyway, thus if they post their success with using Goljan it is hard to tell if it was Goljan or the student. Thanks.

Good luck to all of you taking your boards in the upcoming months!

Goljan is not only a local phenomena...he is known internationally. I hear a lot of the caribbean medical students use his audios as well.