Is Howard University Considered a good med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumoke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think?
It is a top-tier, mid-tier, or low-tier?

What do you know about this school?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a USMD medical school, which should be enough, but noooo.....:rolleyes:

Howard Medical School has a unique mission and that is to foster the growth and development of African-American physicians and scientists, and by that it admits many AAs, but all are welcome to apply. The baseline numbers considered for admissions are generally lower than most schools, but do not let that fool you. The applicant pool is very large (~7k iirc). Do some reading...

http://medicine.howard.edu/education/programs/md.htm

Try also visiting the school-specific forums, where folks can give you more insight on the admissions policies and their experiences at the school, either while contending as an applicant or as a current medical student.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=895217

It is a very inspiring thread, so check it out.

Thanks La Presse.

Mission or no mission, compared to other medical schools in the US, is it a good school? As per quality of education?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks La Presse.

Mission or no mission, compared to other medical schools in the US, is it a good school? As per quality of education?

It's an MD producing program. As far as curriculum you'd have to check their website. No, it is not a top-tier school, it doesn't rank high in prestige, but it is a medical college nonetheless.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks La Presse.

It is said on here a lot but pre-meds should get rid of the top, mid, low-tier idea. Everyone takes the same standardized test not to mention that at some schools, approximately half of the kids don't even go to lectures so what difference does it make what school they are at. MS1&2 are heavy on self-study and almost everyone nationwide knows the key studying non-textbooks to get.

It's an MD producing program. As far as curriculum you'd have to check their website. No, it is not a top-tier school, it doesn't rank high in prestige, but it is a medical college nonetheless.

That's all that matters, that and price.

It is said on here a lot but pre-meds should get rid of the top, mid, low-tier idea. Everyone takes the same standardized test not to mention that at some schools, approximately half of the kids don't even go to lectures so what difference does it make what school they are at. MS1&2 are heavy on self-study and almost everyone nationwide knows the key studying non-textbooks to get.

Exactly this. Your first priority should be going to a med school in the US, second should be going to an MD school over DO, third should be minimizing debt, fourth should be location/proximity to family/convenience of significant other finding a job/preference of city/"happiness" factor, last should be prestige.

Ok cool. Thanks for your replies :)

What do you think?

"[Howard has an] emphasis on the provision of education opportunities for those socially, economically, and culturally disadvantaged students, who may not otherwise have an opportunity to acquire an education," per MSAR.

Lower mean gpa/mcat than most schools.

I have not seen their match list for residencies.

I will be graduating in 7 days from Howard University. It is a great school. As far as rankings, it is not ranked very highly by US News and World Report or NIH funding scales (you can google these).

If you do your research you will see what goes into those rankings. As far as your main question 'is it a good school' I would say absolutely yes!

Will you receive excellent medical training? Will you be able to match into the residency program of your choice yes.

The match list have always been pretty impressive. They are available online just google it. Our current match list will probably be made public during June.

If you have any specific questions you can shoot me a PM. I am going to be doing the specialty I want, where I want and I can honestly say I love my school!

Reactions: 3 users
I will be graduating in 7 days from Howard University. It is a great school. As far as rankings, it is not ranked very highly by US News and World Report or NIH funding scales (you can google these).

If you do your research you will see what goes into those rankings. As far as your main question 'is it a good school' I would say absolutely yes!

Will you receive excellent medical training? Will you be able to match into the residency program of your choice yes.

The match list have always been pretty impressive. They are available online just google it. Our current match list will probably be made public during June.

If you have any specific questions you can shoot me a PM. I am going to be doing the specialty I want, where I want and I can honestly say I love my school!

Congrats!

That's all that matters, that and price.

Exactly this. Your first priority should be going to a med school in the US, second should be going to an MD school over DO, third should be minimizing debt, fourth should be location/proximity to family/convenience of significant other finding a job/preference of city/"happiness" factor, last should be prestige.

Debt more important than family? Can't agree with that, but the rest is solid advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Debt more important than family? Can't agree with that, but the rest is solid advice.

Not saying debt is more important than family. Family always comes first. But med school is a short four years and debt is with you for the rest of your life. Thankfully, I had a good, cheap med school close to family, but I would have travelled far from family before I took 50k a year debt.

What do you think?

Meh. Good is subjective. I personally don't like that school but that's individual preference. According to the great US News, it's low-tier, but I don't follow the tier system.

It's "low tier" based on the numbers

But those numbers reflect their mission. You can't look at it as a safety school because the MSAR has it listed with a lower average MCAT or GPA. If you are a whitebread upper middle class suburbanite who went to good schools all your life, don't think you will get an acceptance just because you have their average or slightly above average MCAT.

you go to a medical school in the United States? congrats, you go to a good school.

I would say just compare the matches from the previous years to the matches at other schools and look at how the students compare. Also look at the previous years Step Scores and how many had to repeat or that got "provisioned" licensing.

There's no such thing as a "Bad" MD Medical School. I wouldn't really worry about what tier a medical school is for the most part... If you get an interview and you enjoy the atmosphere then that's all that matters.

It's a fine school.

If we cared about rankings and such, it would be a bottom quartile MD program. Nevertheless, still a fine place to get your MD seeing as it's a US school. It "beats out" any DO program and ABSOLUTELY any international program

There's no such thing as a "Bad" MD Medical School. I wouldn't really worry about what tier a medical school is for the most part... If you get an interview and you enjoy the atmosphere then that's all that matters.

tell the students at the University of Nevada School of Medicine that, i think they will disagree

It "beats out"....ABSOLUTELY any international program

Don't know if that's necessarily true.

The 'pride and joy' medical institutions of other nations (not talking about Caribbean diploma mills) would probably produce candidates who would smoke some of the 'lower tier' schools. Those students don't even bother coming to the US as a result.

Is not a good school. It will get you where you need to go but its not that good. The

Seriously. Just go to a school that you will enjoy. You're going to learn the same information regardless.

Dude its a US MD program. Its all good.

you go to a medical school in the United States? congrats, you go to a good school.

:thumbup:

I think ppl are too caught up on the tier system.. Nobody cares what school in the US your medical education came from.

I am sure Howard Medical School is a great school.

mostly just premeds and academics

Although there is the rare minority of people who will only go to Harvard/Yale grads. Its pretty funny to see in my home town because its such a small place.....its not like people can choose between 100 different pcp's here hahaha

Although there is the rare minority of people who will only go to Harvard/Yale grads. Its pretty funny to see in my home town because its such a small place.....its not like people can choose between 100 different pcp's here hahaha

I hope those people get pancreatic cancer.

I hope those people get pancreatic cancer.

Good lord! Lol

They are the typical older narcissistic white folk who do nothing but brag about their "Harvard" doc to their friends as if trying to vicariously live through them or something. No offense to older white people....I'm white haha

Good lord! Lol

They are the typical older narcissistic white folk who do nothing but brag about their "Harvard" doc to their friends as if trying to vicariously live through them or something. No offense to older white people....I'm white haha

Well, we all know that Harvard family docs are better at using lisinopril and metformin

Don't know if that's necessarily true.

The 'pride and joy' medical institutions of other nations (not talking about Caribbean diploma mills) would probably produce candidates who would smoke some of the 'lower tier' schools. Those students don't even bother coming to the US as a result.

You realize your statement is kind of irrelevant to the situation right? The implicit assumption here -- since you apparently need it spelled out for you -- is that the OP is from the U.S. and/or wants to practice in the U.S. For such a person, ANY U.S. MD program is a better fit than (virtually) any international program. Additionally, if the OP is considering Howard, it is highly unlike s/he would be admissible at, say, Cambridge or Karolinska. Therefore, your comment is not relevant.... :thumbdown:

I dunno. The majority of the students are black.

Thanks for the pointless explanation. Since you have trouble reading, I was responding to a specific post - which brought up international programs (although OP never once mentioned international programs).

My point was that for the OP, Howard is probably a fine choice because it beats any other option available to him/her. You seem to be reading that statement outside the context of the conversation. The context wasn't general. It was specific. Within the scope of the OP's application, there aren't options better than a US MD, including one from Howard.

My point was that for the OP, Howard is probably a fine choice because it beats any other option available to him/her. You seem to be reading that statement outside the context of the conversation. The context wasn't general. It was specific. Within the scope of the OP's application, there aren't options better than a US MD, including one from Howard.

OP asked if it was good or bad. I don't know what else they were considering or their specific stats to rule out international programs. Clearly the post I replied to didn't know either which is why the mentioned them to begin with.

it's funny I was checking out the residents for NY Hospital for Special surgery & I saw a guy who came from Howard school of medicine & out of curiosity I decided to check out their 2013 match list & I find this thread. It's hard as hell to match into HSS. They have some pretty darn great matches for a "bad" school as some of you call it.

Last edited: