is informed consent needed for reuse of braces materials in different patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard that some ortho practices reuse various wires/brackets from patient to patient. Do patients have to sign a form saying they're aware of that, or is it just under standard of care that ortho practices can do that w/o patient being explicitly told about it? So if u're gonna select an orthodontist, do you just say: "i just want new parts"?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really think of a time when reusing orthodontic appliances or parts would be appropriate.

I have a friend who gives his patients a discount if they return their rubber bands at the end of treatment so he can reuse them. All you have to do is rinse them with peridex and they're fine. And it really saves on overhead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brackets can be "recycled." There are a few companies that will remove the cement with air-abration and sterilize brackets so that they can be reused. I have some colleagues who practice a lot of early treatment that will debond phase I brackets send them to be sterilized and air-abraded and use them for phase II if appropriate. That being said, I do not know if they have any informed consent practices in place, or if it is necessary.

I have a friend who gives his patients a discount if they return their rubber bands at the end of treatment so he can reuse them. All you have to do is rinse them with peridex and they're fine. And it really saves on overhead.

I've been reusing suture lately. I prefer a wipe down with cavi-wipes to the peridex though...I've even perfected sharpening of the needle with the same stone I use to sharpen my perio instruments. :D

HaHaHa..they must have been teaching changed the curriculum when we took OS..haha