Is isoniazid treatment absolutely necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r536

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if anybody knows if isoniazid treatment is absolutely necessary for ppl who had BCG before they can start med school. I really do not want to take such a toxic drug for 6 months unless it is required by the law.

Members don't see this ad.

i assume you had a positive TB test... i had to go through the treatment when i was younger when I first came to america. did you not do that? i believe you need to get a chest xray first and based on those results they decided whether you need the treatment.
i went through it and my parents have the paper work so I hope they don't make me go through it again.

SDN is not the place to seek medical advice. I'd suggest you talk with your physician and check with your school's immunization office for further information.

Closing thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just wondering if anybody knows if isoniazid treatment is absolutely necessary for ppl who had BCG before they can start med school. I really do not want to take such a toxic drug for 6 months unless it is required by the law.

By BCG do you mean Bacillus Calmette-Guerin Vaccine ? Are you saying you had TB?
In my school if you have a positive rxn to a 2 step PPD then you need to have a chest x-ray taken to prove the infection is not active.
In any case follow your physician's recommendation because if you are at risk of developing TB you sure want to take the drug no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.