Is it a bad idea to apply to a PA program in the same school your applying to MD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grossmed198

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am applying to MD and some DO schools for the fall of 2019. As a back up just in case all fails I am applying to very few PA programs that don't require the GRE. Is it a bad idea to apply to PA programs for the schools that I am applying to MD programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless they talk to each other OR they have adcoms that do committee work for both schools, no. Some PA programs are under the School/College of Medicine, others are under Graduate Health Sciences. On the safe side, I'd go with the latter.

I'm interested as to see why you think PA programs are some sort of "back up" to medical school? If your heart isn't into being a Physician 100% (as in, you can't see yourself doing anywhere else,) then cut the bulls**t and just go for PA. If you want everything that comes with being a physician (good and bad,) then why waste time and money applying to PA school? Often, these programs are AS COMPETITIVE or more so than medical schools.

Why would you do this, do you want to be a doctor or a PA?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My worry is that the Dean of Admissions oversees ALL admissions, and so s/he would tell the MD schools Adcom that you're applying to PA, and they'd say "Let this kid be a PA." And the PA people would say the converse.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you need to decide whether you want to be a physician or PA. PA is not a back up plan to MD/DO. Most PAs want to be PAs because they don't want to go through the extensive training needed to become a physician.

If you end up in PA school when you wanted MD/DO, that could make for a life of resentment and regret just because you didn't improve your app and re apply.

If you end up in MD/DO school but inside you want to be a PA, you're going to give up before its over.

They're 2 completely different careers with totally different demands and responsibilities. I think you should choose one and go all in no matter how long it takes to get in.

Reactions: 2 users
Do it OP. When they question you, just say you want to do both at the same time because you're just that good.

Reactions: 2 users