Is it a Plus for Adventist hospitals to be Adventist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikady

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a Plus for Adventist hospitals to be Adventist applicant?How should we inform them?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the answer to your first question.

If you want to inform a program of something like that I would make mention of it in the personal statement that I send to that place.

Is it a Plus for Adventist hospitals to be Adventist applicant?How should we inform them?
Perhaps. But it's probably illegal. Primarily religious organizations can hire based upon religion, but I expect a religiously oriented hospital is primarily a hospital, and hence is excluded from using religion as a hiring preference.

I think this is a really lame question.

If the hospital you go to has a religious affiliation I think you just want to make sure that you are not doing or saying things while at the hospital that run counter to that affiliation/tradition, if you can.

Otherwise you can't really play the: Hey this hospital is Lutheran and so am I! Let's match me because I'm your brother in Christ! card.

I think this is a really lame question.
If the hospital you go to has a religious affiliation I think you just want to make sure that you are not doing or saying things while at the hospital that run counter to that affiliation/tradition, if you can...
Actually this was not a "lame question". One of the respondents (aPD) mentioned that it is probably illegal for a hospital to have religious affiliation as a hiring preference. But the whole intern match process is somewhat mysterious, and the various objective and subjective (including subliminal) factors that might be considered when a program makes out a rank list aren't always obvious or even logical. If your religious affiliation is important to you and you have been "active" in some way, putting those activities in your CV and/or personal statement might be a way of disclosing that information. A program isn't supposed to ask about such things, but you can volunteer that information. Having said that, beware. Just as that information might put you in a favorable light in some situations, it could be viewed differently in others. While the actual ERAS "match" is done by computers, the rank lists at individual programs are assembled by humans, with all of the shortcomings that go along with human nature.