Is it a red flag to become a part time student during multiple semesters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brooklyn-doc97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only taking two classes this semester because of financial issues causing me to work. I didn't have the time to commit towards doing school full time since my job takes so many hours out of my day and I didn't want to mess up my GPA. I am highly expecting to get straight A's in these two courses, however I am worried that medical schools might look upon my behavior in a negative light in terms of how in some semesters I am a full time student and at other times I am a part time student. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

No. People take non standard paths to med school. You can mention you worked in your activities section. If you’re able to, it would be nice to have some consistent (it can be low volume of hours but long term) volunteer positions to help fulfill some of those requirements.

Reactions: 1 users
No. People take non standard paths to med school. You can mention you worked in your activities section. If you’re able to, it would be nice to have some consistent (it can be low volume of hours but long term) volunteer positions to help fulfill some of those requirements.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only taking two classes this semester because of financial issues causing me to work. I didn't have the time to commit towards doing school full time since my job takes so many hours out of my day and I didn't want to mess up my GPA. I am highly expecting to get straight A's in these two courses, however I am worried that medical schools might look upon my behavior in a negative light in terms of how in some semesters I am a full time student and at other times I am a part time student. Thank you.
If you have to do it, it won't be an issue. However, many faculty will be concerned if you don't ramp up your coursework rigor before medical school. It's very hard to go from 8 hours of classes to 28 hours. Have a plan to take a full time load prior to applying if you can.

Reactions: 3 users
If you have to do it, it won't be an issue. However, many faculty will be concerned if you don't ramp up your coursework rigor before medical school. It's very hard to go from 8 hours of classes to 28 hours. Have a plan to take a full time load prior to applying if you can.
Thank you, I am trying to save up as much as possible and am looking into doing just school and volunteering the next semester.

Reactions: 1 user