Is it a relief to be a resident

Started by Tortaspie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Whoa. Is this dermatology? 😵 Is dermatology a speciality of minutiae?

I'm not sure if your post was tongue-in-cheek or a genuine question, but yes - Dermatology is probably THE specialty of minutiae (with a slight nod towards my Path colleagues). You'd be shocked.

Ideally but as @GuyWhoDoesStuff points out, a lot of ITE stuff is minutiae.

In surgery, as a matter of fact, programs that work you the hardest in terms of hours are known to generally have lower ITE scores; I mean you aren't seeing glucagonomas every day and doing a truncal vagotomy and antrectomy frequently, but they *love* to ask about those things.

I think @PatsyStone was the one to initially stress the minutiae point, but she is correct.

Our ITE classically delves very deep into the minutiae and details, although I felt this year the exam stressed more global/basic concepts (and the mean reflected this). Whether or not that will continue to be a trend remains to be seen, but I sort of doubt it.
 
I can see that. I don't know if yours is the same, but our percentiles are broken out by year group, so you can judge where you fall relative to all the other PGYs in your year nationwide. I think that's very useful.

This is how our scores are reported as well. They also show where you would fit in with the other PGY classes.

It was pretty nice as a first year resident to see that I scored well above the 50th percentile for third year residents.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a bit disturbed by the concept of "shoe related dermatitis"! 😱

Watch out for that mercaptobenzothiazole.

Most quality mens' shoes are leather-soled, so there's usually less of a chance for allergic contact dermatitis to MBT or thiuram (the top two offenders, both utilized in rubber). I presume womens' shoes are similar.

Although for athletic shoes, all bets are off.
 
Watch out for that mercaptobenzothiazole.

Most quality mens' shoes are leather-soled, so there's usually less of a chance for allergic contact dermatitis to MBT or thiuram (the top two offenders, both utilized in rubber). I presume womens' shoes are similar.

Although for athletic shoes, all bets are off.

Derm... my saviour.. I thought you were more than just minutiae 🙁
 
I can see that. I don't know if yours is the same, but our percentiles are broken out by year group, so you can judge where you fall relative to all the other PGYs in your year nationwide. I think that's very useful.

Unfortunately, all the research on board passing for us that I know of is based on percentiles.
It was broken out by year but the board pass correlation was based on the raw score. If our ITE was set up like yours, then I"d agree that percentiles mattered.
 
I am going to be doing a psych residency, starting in July. I am guessing (and hoping) it will be better than med school...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to be doing a psych residency, starting in July. I am guessing (and hoping) it will be better than med school...

Of the many disadvantages to our trade, getting your balls kicked around as a resident for years is not one of them. Typically. We, as a group, tend to understand, the virtues...of chilling the F out. Such that I whiff on the OP's question in regards to these other fields. I'm like...oh yeah...that clerkship was the anti-chill of course that would suck. I totally forgot for a minute.