Is it advisable to take Step 2 and 3 within 1-2 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rashy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Since I am an IMG and I don't want to travel to the US twice for Step 2 and 3, I wanted to know if someone could clarify a few things:

1. To what extent are Step 2 and 3 different or similar? Is it basically the same stuff (i.e. need same books) or do they differ a lot?

2. Is it advisable to take Step 2 (CK and CS) and 3 within 1-2 weeks from each other? (For someone who wants and has the time to crush both?)

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. I studied for Step 3 by reading my Step 2 notes, doing 2 weeks of Uworld Step 3, and it was all done in my first month of intern year. I certainly didn't learn anything between Step 2 and Step 3, other than how many tequila shots to the center of my duodenum, and I went from 250s Step II to 230s Step III.

Literally, the only thing I did on top of Step 2 was do Step 3 Uworld. Its feasable. But only if you have a strong foundation and are going to cock stomp Step 2, otherwise, its risky.