You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is it bad if I don't have a "recommended class"?
Started by exacto
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Well you need psychology for the MCAT, which is probably why they recommend it I would think
It really depends on the schools. Some that only list a few classes might look more highly on you if you have taken them, but if they really wanted you to take them before medical school they would have required them. Some schools literally list 10+ obscure courses and in that case I really don't think they expect you to take them it's more just for "bonus points" I guess.
You can always take psychology next year if you have room in your schedule and list in under future courses on AMCAS.
You can always take psychology next year if you have room in your schedule and list in under future courses on AMCAS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well you need psychology for the MCAT, which is probably why they recommend it I would think
correct, but psych is an easy class i hear so i could study it on my own if i need to take the MCAT again. I have already taken the older MCAT and applying with that score.
It really depends on the schools. Some that only list a few classes might look more highly on you if you have taken them, but if they really wanted you to take them before medical school they would have required them. Some schools literally list 10+ obscure courses and in that case I really don't think they expect you to take them it's more just for "bonus points" I guess.
You can always take psychology next year if you have room in your schedule and list in under future courses on AMCAS.
Yup, I'm already taking a sociology class, and a zoology class because they recommend them... wanted to know if is should take even more classes they recommended... I hate this interpretative meaning
Yup, I'm already taking a sociology class, and a zoology class because they recommend them... wanted to know if is should take even more classes they recommended... I hate this interpretative meaning
Ugh I decided to add on the sociology class for next semester as well... I wouldn't stress about it too much, especially if you are taking sociology already.
We do not check to see if you have taken "recommended" classes. It's at your discretion.
We do not check to see if you have taken "recommended" classes. It's at your discretion.
So a theoretical question for you: If two applicants apply to your school with same GPA, same SGPA, same extra curricular, same LOR,... same everything except one applicant takes the recommended course(s) and the other does not, would you choose the one who took the recommended courses over the other?
I know the questions for gyngyn but a psych class? I don't know how much weight that would hold, a sociology and a sports psychology
Plus I feel adcoms know a psych 101 class (i took mine in HS) doesn't teach you too much, esp recommended
He can correct me though- plus that situations a little far out for gyngyns school lol
Plus I feel adcoms know a psych 101 class (i took mine in HS) doesn't teach you too much, esp recommended
He can correct me though- plus that situations a little far out for gyngyns school lol
We don't look at applicants this way.So a theoretical question for you: If two applicants apply to your school with same GPA, same SGPA, same extra curricular, same LOR,... same everything except one applicant takes the recommended course(s) and the other does not, would you choose the one who took the recommended courses over the other?
So a theoretical question for you: If two applicants apply to your school with same GPA, same SGPA, same extra curricular, same LOR,... same everything except one applicant takes the recommended course(s) and the other does not, would you choose the one who took the recommended courses over the other?
You need to rethink how this process works if you are asking questions like this.
Recommended classes is just that- it is recommended that you take it because it will help you in medical school or teach you something that will be useful later on. These classes are helpful if you take them, but they are not looked at favorably/unfavorably for admission purposes.
I personally applied to schools where I did not do all the recommended classes, and it was never brought up at any point in the application cycle. Rather than worry about recommended classes or filling your schedule with additional classes, your time would be far better spent improving your EC's, something that is seriously considered in the application process.
I personally applied to schools where I did not do all the recommended classes, and it was never brought up at any point in the application cycle. Rather than worry about recommended classes or filling your schedule with additional classes, your time would be far better spent improving your EC's, something that is seriously considered in the application process.
Ahh, nothing like the smell of ignorance in the morning.
It's not a zero sum game.
It's not a zero sum game.
So a theoretical question for you: If two applicants apply to your school with same GPA, same SGPA, same extra curricular, same LOR,... same everything except one applicant takes the recommended course(s) and the other does not, would you choose the one who took the recommended courses over the other?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 2K
- Locked
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 992