Is it bad that my peds rotation was outpatient only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohmanwaddup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This crossed my mind today. My rotation was outpatient only with a smattering of nursery visits. I want to do Med-peds. Is the fact that my rotation was outpatient only a big deal for applying to residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so.
Fourth year just do sub-i's in med/peds and get a letter from preceptor.

Yes its bad but its not uncommon for many DO students. Use a 4th year audition/elective to do an inpatient one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, try to get some experience last year. Sadly it was the other way around for me. I just had inpatient Heme/Onc, PICU, NICU and shifts in the ER.

It's always good to have a healthy mix.

It is bad for your personal education, file a complaint with your institution. It won't hurt you applying, just do some sub-I's.

This crossed my mind today. My rotation was outpatient only with a smattering of nursery visits. I want to do Med-peds. Is the fact that my rotation was outpatient only a big deal for applying to residency?

It matters if your only experience was in an outpatient facility, since med peds is largely hosted at academic spots.

Do a sub-i at an actual teaching hospital and get a letter that way.

Reactions: 1 user