is it bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnlyDrilling

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it bad is my personal statement is only 3,000 character since the limit is 4500. I just came seem to write anymore lol

Members don't see this ad.

just add 1500 characters of $$$$$. j/k try to talk about expericences you had during college. job, research, volunteering events, certain days your were shadowing/assisting a dentist. or any experiences you had that you can tie into why you would make a good dentist.

example,
one of my friends applying to medical school wrote about texas holdem. he said he got really good at reading people so when he was volunteering at a hospital he confronted some people that were acting "weird." they eventually confessed they were on drugs.

the point is there is plenty of things to write about. you have 1500 extra characters might as well put it to good use. i dont know if it will actually hurt you since im not an admissions member. but from my point of view it will make you look less motivated for dentistry since you didnt write a lot.

look at other personal statements to draw ideas.

It'll depend on who is reading it. Inserting words for the sake of the word count is almost always a bad idea.

Ask yourself why your essay is so short. Is it because you aren't saying much? If so, then think of more to say. Don't forget that you don't have to actually answer the question. You can instead use the question to lead into your sales pitch.

If, however, you've said everything you want to say and you are still at 3,000 words, then maybe you are just a succinct writer. Consider yourself lucky to have that rare skill. The people who have to read all those dang essays will certainly be glad. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt think it is bad, as long as it is well written.

If you were able to showcase all of the qualities that you want an admission board to see in only 3000k letters then there wouldnt be much point in writing any more

it's not bad, there are some examples at my iste of others, i think one was like three paragraphs. It is just a statement saying why you are interested in dentistry and what you have accomplished towards meeting that goal. some can say it in three words, other take 4500...:D

First, I would have friends and family read it. Then I would take it to your dentist and health professions person. Ask them all for their input, but I wouldn't tell them you have doubts until after they tell you what they think. I even took mine to my English Comp teacher... she didn't remember me... but she was still super helpful. After all that, if you still think your paper explains who you are and why you want this... submit it at 3000. These guys read so many papers that yours might be refreshing.

I'm happy with mine and it is only 3150 or something. Quality is better than quantity at some point. I would think (caution, opinion coming!) that those reading these things day in and day out would rather read a well written 3,000 than a filled up with fluff 4500....