Is it best to finish the prereqs in 2 years (before MCAT)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedicine555

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a second year starting this fall. I planned out my schedule and will have chemistry & biology done. I already finished math. So physics is left, which i plan on taking half of it next summer...

Should I, instead, take more classes this coming year and try and finish ALL of my physics? I can only do 2 science classes a quarter... I guess I can try 3.

basically: I just was wondering because i want to study MCAT the summer before junior year (since I want to apply senior year): should i finish ALL prereqs by then, or can i take physics class simultaneously, while studing mcat (and continue a little physics my third year)?

Members don't see this ad.

lol, I've taken 4 science classes and 1 math in one semester. Time management is everything.
Whatever you do, just remember that you should finish your MCAT by May (at the latest) of your third year.
And if you plan on sticking with what you're doing (taking physics next summer), just study along with for the MCAT during the summer. Take your physics class alongside with studying for the MCAT. What you learn will be very relevant to the material found on the MCAT. All in all, I would suggest not leaving any pre-reqs after your 5th semester, at the latest.

Also, have you finished with orgo?

Thanks! can you also take the mcat during the fall of your senior year? is it okay?

And i'm going all my orgo this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking the MCAT during your senior year will mean that you will be applying towards the end of your senior year, and if you do get accepted, you will start two years after you graduate. Meaning, there will be a one year gap between your graduation and your first year of med school.