Is it considered unprofessional if I wear headphones during an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kmani6

Reaction score
I have my first interview tomorrow, and I was considering wearing black headphones. They are slim and not obnoxious by any means, but I was wondering if it would be considered informal to wear them considering it’s an interview. The pros are that the headphones will pick up my speech more clearly and I will avoid my laptop mic picking up feedback every time the interviewer speaks.

Could anyone give me advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Headphones were actually recommended for one of my interviews, and I wore them for all of my interviews. As long as they're not distracting to you or the interviewer (which it sounds like they aren't), I think you're good. Worst case scenario, you can always bring it up with the interview team and ask about their preferences. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I have my first interview tomorrow, and I was considering wearing black headphones. They are slim and not obnoxious by any means, but I was wondering if it would be considered informal to wear them considering it’s an interview. The pros are that the headphones will pick up my speech more clearly and I will avoid my laptop mic picking up feedback every time the interviewer speaks.

During my interviews last year I saw everything from over-ear headsets to airpods to stock apple wired headphones. I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

if it's online and have dogs at home, may be noise cancelling headphones are better. I hear lot of dog barking during my meetings :)

if it's online and have dogs at home, may be noise cancelling headphones are better. I hear lot of dog barking during my meetings :)
I have fish at home, but I don’t think they’ll be a problem! 😊

also thanks everyone for the help!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Before I got my webcam, I had to use headphones for Zoom. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user