Is it easier to get admitted if you already work in the medical field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Possiblities

Medical Assistant Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a medical assistant student, but I aspire to to become an osteopathic doctor one day. After I become certified and finish my undergraduate studies I plan on applying to medical schools. Do you think that since I will have work experience in the medical field, and not just as a volunteer or shadowing, will give me an advantage? Before I even apply to medical school I will have around four years of work experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that it will be "easier," as you'd be expected to have competitive stats regardless, but heavy work experience in the medical arena can compensate for the lack of research and some other ECs. You'd still want to have some community service, but it needn't be medical in nature. And you should have some formal physician shadowing.

I think the greater advantage will come during the clinical years of med school. You will be head and shoulders above your classmates in history taking, physicial assessment, etc.