is it even worth a try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wesgirl04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have to admit reading some of these threads has been extremely disheartening for me. I have been interested in derm since my first exposure to it during the first year of medical school. Now, I'm in third year at a very respectable medical school (MD program) which happens to be in Canada (LCME accredited). I am an American citizen, and want to return to the East Coast or possibly the midwest for residency.
I still love derm, but I'm starting to wonder if it is even worth me getting my hopes up, trying to get hooked up with some kind of research and doing 2/3 of the electives I will have before applying in derm.

I graduated from a well known East Coast liberal arts college, where I was active in athletics and served as a teaching assistant for several courses. I did some basic science research while in college, but never published anything. I also did a clinical research project while in college, but again, nothing was published from that effort. I have spoken to a derm resident here who tells me that most of the staff does not do research here, and that "it would be tough" to get involved in any derm research at this school.
My medical school does not have AOA. Thus far, I have been getting "exceeds expectations" for my clerkship rotatoins, but not in the "superior" range. I got a 240 on my USMLE step I.

Frankly, I've never considered myself to be brilliant, but I am intelligent and personable. However, I just do not know if I have what it takes to compete against the "best of the best."

Because my school is Canadian, the advising for American programs is terrible.

I would truly appreciate an honest apprasial of my chances at matching in a derm program. If I really have no chance, maybe that would be the reality check and to move on with my life and find something else less competitive.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.