Is it even worth a try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younme012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I was dead set on applying this year. But I talked to an admissions officer at a med school and they told me that I should wait another year. I am turning into a non-trad and I feel absolutely bummed/horrible about it.

Took my MCAT, got a decent score. It's not a great score but it's not bad either. 32 P with break down of 9/12/11 (VR/PS/BS) I have great extra curriculars and LOR's
But I have a horrible trend in GPA. I am at a 3.5 cGPA with 3.3 sGPA. but I came to that 3.3 sGPA with 3C's, 1B-, 2P's, and 1W all in bio classes.

Ad com's comment was that my chances of getting in anywhere is dismal and that I should take another year off and do whatever I can to prove that I am ready to go to medical school and that means taking a full load of extension classes for an entire year just with upper division science classes.

Do you think I should even try applying this year..?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So I was dead set on applying this year. But I talked to an admissions officer at a med school and they told me that I should wait another year. I am turning into a non-trad and I feel absolutely bummed/horrible about it.

Took my MCAT, got a decent score. It's not a great score but it's not bad either. 32 P with break down of 9/12/11 (VR/PS/BS) I have great extra curriculars and LOR's
But I have a horrible trend in GPA. I am at a 3.5 cGPA with 3.3 sGPA. but I came to that 3.3 sGPA with 3C's, 1B-, 2P's, and 1W all in bio classes.

Ad com's comment was that my chances of getting in anywhere is dismal and that I should take another year off and do whatever I can to prove that I am ready to go to medical school and that means taking a full load of extension classes for an entire year just with upper division science classes.

Apply this year and go to DO school.

If you're not a URM, you have a lot of GPA improvement ahead of you to get into MD.

Hi,

whats your state of residency? i wouldnt say your stats are "dismal"...your mcat is good, not decent.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is sort of late, so to speak, to submit an application. I sympathize with your feelings about being a non trad. I would encourage you to do as advised and commit to a outstanding year of academics, uppder div sci - apply at the end of next year, broadly.

For now, maybe submit something to one or two schools, where you have a good chance numbers wise, and who offer some feedback about your application. This, only if your low moral makes you very motivated to take some sort of action towards truly applying now.

Try DO schools, where you'll be fine, and your state MD schools, you may have a chance with them, as well as the low-tier MD schools such as Rosy Franklin and NYMC.

Hi,

I am leaning towards applying next year now.
I calculated how much I can improve and realistically speaking, (because I didn't have THAT much science classes to begin with) if I take a full load of classes, I can get my sGPA above a 3.5 (I probably won't get it to a 3.6 though). cGPA would stay within 3.5-3.6 still.

Do you think I would still have to apply to DO's next year with those stats?

I am planning on applying to only MD next year. If my chances are still dismal next year even if I raise the sGPA to a 3.5, then I'm not entirely sure what I should do.
I have great EC's and great LOR's...

dude with a 3.5 science gpa and your cum gpa/mcat you should have it made for MD, not sure what anyone else is talking about.

dude with a 3.5 science gpa and your cum gpa/mcat you should have it made for MD, not sure what anyone else is talking about.
I think they were telling me in terms of the bad trend I have in my GPA :/
But this makes me feel better. Thank you. At least I know that if I work my ass off this year, I will have a chance at MD schools next year.
Sigh. I really wanted to apply this year....

You should definitely apply this year if you have the funds and see what happens, its only mid July. Apply broadly and go from there. Take it one day at a time. With ever decision you make in life let it be yours and not SDN or some admissions officers.

take care

Listen to the admissions officer. Another year won't hurt you. So what you will be a nontrad student? The year will benefit you not hurt you. Use that time to try to fix your GPA and MCAT. Also participate in more EC's.

I also think there's no harm in trying to apply now... if you can obviously.