Is it hard to get into post-bac programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostBacWannaBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I am new to this forum so allow me to begin by saying that it is cool to see so many medical students/applicants helping each other out.

My question is a very general one about getting accepted into a post-bac program. Are they hard to get into to? What sort of factors so they consider when accepting students into programs? I know these are very general questions and that the answers can very from one program to the next, but I am just trying to get a general idea of what separates post-bac worthy students from those that won't be accepted? I saw some threads here about applicants with low GPAs trying to get in to some post-bac programs, so even though my undergraduate GPA is higher than 3.0, I'm wondering if they are geared towads applicants with low GPAs or if they can be just as competitive as undergraduate or graduate admissions? I don't know if I am making sense here but I am worried sick because I applied to one post-bac program for the fall and I REALLY hope that I get in because I'll just be stressed out if I get rejected. I guess I'm just looking for some assurance.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

PostBacWannaBe said:
Hi, all.

I am new to this forum so allow me to begin by saying that it is cool to see so many medical students/applicants helping each other out.

My question is a very general one about getting accepted into a post-bac program. Are they hard to get into to? What sort of factors so they consider when accepting students into programs? I know these are very general questions and that the answers can very from one program to the next, but I am just trying to get a general idea of what separates post-bac worthy students from those that won't be accepted? I saw some threads here about applicants with low GPAs trying to get in to some post-bac programs, so even though my undergraduate GPA is higher than 3.0, I'm wondering if they are geared towads applicants with low GPAs or if they can be just as competitive as undergraduate or graduate admissions? I don't know if I am making sense here but I am worried sick because I applied to one post-bac program for the fall and I REALLY hope that I get in because I'll just be stressed out if I get rejected. I guess I'm just looking for some assurance.

Thanks.

Some of the more formal programs are very competitive. Others are basically open enrollment. With a greater than 3.0 GPA you are likely to find one that suits your needs.

PostBacWannaBe said:
Hi, all.

Thanks.
Well there are many different type of postbac programs. There are the traditional postbac programs that are designed for individuals (mix of nontraditional, older applicants and right out of college students), who havn't taken any science in their undergrad, or havn't finished their requirements. THey are your standard classes, of orgo, chem, bio, etc, and sometimes you take them along with other undergraduates. Many times, postbacs are one year postbacs, so you esesntially take all your requirements in one year, which is alot to do, but looks good since adcoms take you more seriously if you can handle such a large workload.

The other postbacs, are like masters programs, a couple, which are special masters programs, which puts you into some medical school classes as a part of a curriculum that earns you your masters degree. These are usualyl for individuals iwth a science background but with a lower GPA. THey are designed for students who need to improve their undergrad credentials but have a competitive MCAT. These programs eliminate alot of the adcoms's fear of a student not being able to perform in medical school.

Which type of postbac are you applying to? What are your MCAT scores?

The majority of my experience is focused on SMP's. These postbacs look for individuals who have some medical school applicant crednetials but with a low GPA. So they want to see that you have some clinical/volunteer experience, a strong MCAT score (typically 27+ for the more competitive ones), and usually a GPA of at least 3.0 (for the more competitive ones, the lesser competitive ones are usually somewhere in the high 2.0's). Strong letter of recommendations are also a must. You sound like you have a good shot at getting into some postbac. But in the event that you dont, theres also a few here and there that have rolling deadlines and you can still apply to them. Just some breathing room for you.

Where did you apply to? Provide us with some more insight and we can help you out.

Braluk, I sent you a private message. Please read.