Is it just me or does getting into med school seem impossible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 2007 43,000 applied, 17,000 got in. That's a 42% acceptance rate.

So on the face of it it seems like you must come in at the top 35% or so of applicants to get accepted.

But then you realize that 43,000 applicants sent over 500,000 applications and there are only about 100 med scools in the country!

Look at the admissions stats:

Havard: 5500 applicants in 2007, 165 accepted, 3%

U of Minnesota Twin Cities: 3100 applicants, 187 accepted, 5.9%

U of M Duluth: 1300 applicants 58 accepted, 4.62%

U of Iowa, 148 accepted, (almost all Iowa residents)

So it seems like every med school in the country accepts 200 or less students each year, and each one gets 50-20 applicants/ available spot.

My basic background in stats tells me that this is bad news for everyone applying.

Because if you have a 10% or less chance, and each school is an independent event, then really, you can't count on applying to 10-15 schools and getting in anywhere.

Whats more, the state schools seem to give preference to residents of that state, (91% of Duluth students are from MN)

This means that your best shot of getting in is at your state's universities but if you don't then your odds get even longer everywhere else.

What's worse, every year more people apply to med school while the number of spots grows by a tiny amount, meaning that the acceptence rate will continue dropping. (1995 it was 25%, rose until 2002 when it hit 49% due to internet boom and everyone wanting to go into IT, now its dropping as people realize the financial stability of a medical career).

My father assures me that in a year and a half when I get several acceptance letters I will be laughing about this rabid fear, but it sure dosn't seem funny or hopeful at the time.

Any words of encouragement from those who have matriculated to those of us still on the other side of the fence?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting in is stupid hard, no doubt about it. You'd be surprised at how much of your status is determined by the subjective parts of your app, though. Rock those, and your chances improve dramatically. If the schools know you're an academic rockstar and can compose your thoughts well on paper and live, you're set.

Members don't see this ad :)
For public schools, one should focus on what the acceptance rate and statistics (GPA, MCAT) are for in-state applicants (assuming the school has a strong preference for
in-state applicants). The overall acceptance rate of many public schools is brought down by the large number of OOS applicants (and their very low acceptance rate).

If your numbers are there (BCMP 3.6+ and MCAT 30+ with no section less than 9), you have a good chance of getting in somewhere. Many people with these numbers do not get in (especially from very competitive states like California), but this is a good starting point. You have to keep in mind that there are a good number of people who apply even though their numbers aren't that great. Many such people apply to a large number of schools, so this may skew the numbers.

good god SDN is one huge festering stressball.

good god SDN is one huge festering stressball.

Haha, true. I remember getting my MCAT score and thinking "sweet, 34!"..and then while applying I found SDN and went "crap...34.." and hid in a corner for awhile with my MSAR cuddled to my chest, in a frantic need to find comfort in their reported median scores and trying to convince myself that SDN was lying to me.

Ok, so maybe that's an exaggeration. But take things on SDN with a grain of salt, and breathe. Take the good advice and follow it, put your best out there, and you'll probably be fine :) People who apply smartly and have a solid and timely application for the schools they've applied to usually do get in.

By the way, there's lots of housing near UPenn that allows dogs :) Just saying...

Haha, true. I remember getting my MCAT score and thinking "sweet, 34!"..and then while applying I found SDN and went "crap...34.." and hid in a corner for awhile with my MSAR cuddled to my chest, in a frantic need to find comfort in their reported median scores and trying to convince myself that SDN was lying to me.

Ok, so maybe that's an exaggeration. But take things on SDN with a grain of salt, and breathe. Take the good advice and follow it, put your best out there, and you'll probably be fine :) People who apply smartly and have a solid and timely application for the schools they've applied to usually do get in.

By the way, there's lots of housing near UPenn that allows dogs :) Just saying...

Congrats on UPENN. I went there for undergrad. Lived there for 6-7 years. If you're into jazz music, definitely check out Ortleib's Jazzhaus. It's an old beer brewery that they converted into a jazz bar. One of my favorite joints.

Congrats on UPENN. I went there for undergrad. Lived there for 6-7 years. If you're into jazz music, definitely check out Ortleib's Jazzhaus. It's an old beer brewery that they converted into a jazz bar. One of my favorite joints.

Sweet, I'll definitely check that out. I'm so stoked and grateful that I got into Penn through some admissions-process miracle, haha. I have every intention of signing up to be a student host next year (through the website and SDN of course!), and maybe even an interviewer since I had such a blast at my student interview. :)

Hope you have a great application cycle! Nontrads are awesome, I absolutely have nothing but respect for you guys :)

hooray for dog-friendly places! :thumbup:

theres no dog emocon, so i'll settle for the banana :banana:

If you're into jazz music, definitely check out Ortleib's Jazzhaus. It's an old beer brewery that they converted into a jazz bar. One of my favorite joints.

is that in university city?

Awesome logic :) I agree.

Yeah, it's weird talking to some older doctors, who talk about how when they applied to med schools, they only applied to one or two. Crazy how things have changed.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Me too.

The official "acceptances" are the numbers of applicants that med schools offer admission to...this is true. But in reality, the top students get offers from several med schools and this skews the numbers significantly. The applicants put on waiting lists that do get in are not included in the number of "accepted applicants" data that you see in the MSAR concerning MCAT, GPA etc.

For example, someone with a 3.95, 42 MCAT from Yale with plenty of EC's gets into 8 different schools including Washington U as a top choice and University of Miami as a backup. Someone with a 3.5 and 28 is put on the waiting list a UM. When student 1 goes to WashU, a spot opens up at UM for student 2, who gets in. Regardless, both schools technically accepted student 1 for purposes of the average statistics, while they both actually got in.

I don't know if this helps or not, the numbers of spots is the same, but many of the averages you see in the MSAR for med schools don't take into account the statistics of the wait list students who get in but arent offered admission right away. :)

ive come to totally ignore everything else and just use stats provided by my university for students here applying to schools...135 out of 210 get in to at least 1 medical school per year (that was the data for 2007 anyway)

as long as i can beat out 75 people...im in somewhere. This is relatively easy considering this is basically what you end up doing by getting a B or A in a big science lecture anyway.

This brings down my stress level quite a bit.

Try to narrow it down if you are going to look at numbers.

Additionally...im a history major and 50% of us get in. So basically, I just have to be better than some other history major out there (as long as my numbers are in range for the school).

Yea I like to make the numbers work for me...dont rain on my parade hahaha

Awesome logic :) I agree.

Yeah, it's weird talking to some older doctors, who talk about how when they applied to med schools, they only applied to one or two. Crazy how things have changed.
heh yeah, all my stupid friends are in grad school and law school, and they all applied to 2-4 schools. And were FLOWN OUT for their interviews. And of course, the gradschoolers are PAID to get a phd. grumble.

ive come to totally ignore everything else and just use stats provided by my university for students here applying to schools...135 out of 210 get in to at least 1 medical school per year (that was the data for 2007 anyway)

as long as i can beat out 75 people...im in somewhere. This is relatively easy considering this is basically what you end up doing by getting a B or A in a big science lecture anyway.

This brings down my stress level quite a bit.

Try to narrow it down if you are going to look at numbers.

Additionally...im a history major and 50% of us get in. So basically, I just have to be better than some other history major out there (as long as my numbers are in range for the school).

Yea I like to make the numbers work for me...dont rain on my parade hahaha

whoo, i'll look at it that way too! my school has a 93% acceptance rate into a medical school =P i just gotta beat out that 7%!!

altho... i was told by my health careers dean to apply to more safeties >.<

117.gif
1971.gif

Dogs >>>> Bananas. Don't settle, people.

Everyone has their own way of gearing themselves up, and mine was to ignore the stats. Everytime I realized how difficult it was, I was freaked out and that itself was affecting my focus. But the stories of people who'd beat the odds and who defied the numbers was encouraging. I think listening to people telling you "oh its so difficult to get in," reading up how it keeps getting difficult, etc, etc, does you no good. If this is what you want to do, its worth every shot, and no piece of paper or opinion should change that. Put your best foot forward, put everything you have in it, and then you might be surprised by what you see.

My stats weren't gold. I had a pretty okay GPA, but not a great MCAT score according to SDN standards (31), and while my application had a lot, I hadn't published anything or done something amazingly stupendous. But all my efforts were geared towards this aim of being a doctor, and I tried my very best to show that in every part of my application. I also submitted early. I got loads of interviews, including some at the best schools in the country (again, if you go by stats), and got a few acceptances. It was more than I could have ever imagined, and I realized that this means I wasn't half bad :) even if I couldn't measure up to a lot of people here.

So don't compare yourself to SDNers, or anyone for that matter. Work hard on your application, stay true to yourself, and you'll be surprised. You'll find lots of real, practical help here, which is what you should take with you. Obsessing over the numbers and worrying that it can't be done won't let it happen!

Good luck!