Is it just me, or does it seem like the MCAT really isn't a "standardized" test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDtoBe777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like some forms had easier sections than others. I know the MCAT tries to level the playing field for all applicants by providing a test in which candidates can demonstrate their abilities. However, it seems like so much depends on the form that you get. I find it really frustrating when you speak with others and they mention all these easssyyyy questions they had on their test (especially on the bio section). I'm just venting. But, does anyone else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Ajay said:
Hey man,

I wasn't implying anything negative nor was I being mean. I just meant to say that since you have to write the test regardless of its structure, then why not put all of your energy in constructive directions? The format of the test is a moot point; the test has been around in this format for years now and this is how it will remain for at least the next little while.

Best of luck, Assembler!

I was not specifically refering to you. However, someone who is smart and prepared well for the test (by this I mean scoring very high on difficult prep tests) can still ended up not doing well on the test. So it is not a guarantee as some people are putting it that if you prepared well for the test you should do well.

nanosomic said:
some of the people who are of the notion that if you prepared well for the MCAT you WILL do well should really shut up. Some people get high scores not because the test was easy or they are clever or well prepared, some just guessed on most questons and ended up being lucky. These are the same people who are making others feel stupid. Doing well on the MCAT involves some luck, the topics tested and how you feel the day of the test. Sick and tired of the self proclaimed geniuses of SDN.

Thank you...well said! :thumbup:

MDtoBe777 said:
It seems like some forms had easier sections than others. I know the MCAT tries to level the playing field for all applicants by providing a test in which candidates can demonstrate their abilities. However, it seems like so much depends on the form that you get. I find it really frustrating when you speak with others and they mention all these easssyyyy questions they had on their test (especially on the bio section). I'm just venting. But, does anyone else feel this way?

I've had similar thoughts but it really comes down to statistics...and my guess is AAMC goes to great lengths to ensure that all tests they administer are the same, statistically speaking of course. Plus, the MCAT is curved, so if everybody does really well on a set of passages then it is curved to ensure the have the same bell-shaped distribution of scores.