Is it just me or is Vet School the hardest thing ever??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

langiyo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My whole life has been me trying to get into vet school and I always throught that once I got in things would be great...but now that I'm here it's SO OVERWHELMING! It's definitely the hardest thing (all that anatomy?!) I've done in my life. Did anyone else feel this way in the beginning? Does it get better?

Members don't see this ad.

Take a deep breath. It's going to be okay.

Now that you've done that, realize that things that seem hard today will be easy once the next set of challenges arrive (i.e. becoming a student veterinarian on clinics, and then being a doctor with primary case management). You will acclimatize to the pace as you settle in -- make sure to set reasonable expectations as you cannot memorize every detail for every tests, rounds, etc. A good portion of the material you are learning is a foundation for future knowledge. You do not need to be an encyclopedia of facts -- for the most part you need to know which pieces of information you need and where to find them. There will be some things you will need to memorize when you can't run to the book (i.e. how to fix a GDV or find that bleeding pedicle) but you will be surprised at how quickly new ideas supplant old ones as you continue to learn. In addition, lots of your classmates probably have similar feelings, so talk to them over your beverage of choice. Don't be afraid to reach out to others at your school, online, etc for help.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're not the only one.. my friend always wanted to be a vet and she passed so hard through this school. But now she's proud and happy!

My whole life has been me trying to get into vet school and I always throught that once I got in things would be great...but now that I'm here it's SO OVERWHELMING! It's definitely the hardest thing (all that anatomy?!) I've done in my life. Did anyone else feel this way in the beginning? Does it get better?

I think we all felt that way to some extent. Does it get better? Not exactly - you just become better at managing increasing levels of difficulty, stress, etc. Like looking back in fourth year I realized how easy first year was in comparison to what I was doing at that point but I hadn't really noticed because there weren't huge jumps in level of responsibility/difficulty/work load/stress/whatever, it was more incremental. When you're starting first year, that's a huge jump and you just need to find your rhythm and adjust.

When you're starting first year, that's a huge jump and you just need to find your rhythm and adjust.
and by the way... this applies to anything.. the first year of doing anything regarding anything is the huge jump... you know... the hardest thing is to start.. or I am the only one like this?