Is it late to submit AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I won't be able to submit my application for another two weeks. We're already into July and I know it's getting late, but I am still working on my PS. Will it be considered late if I submit in 2 weeks or so? I know the deadline is in Oct, but it seems that most of you have submitted already.

Members don't see this ad.

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014161" target="_blank">THE FAQ</a>

man you'r screwed, you have to submit it on the first day it went online otherwise you won't get into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]:
•man you'r screwed, you have to submit it on the first day it went online otherwise you won't get into med school.•••••Stop joking! I'm very serious about this. Last year I submitted mine the first week of August and many people said that my chances of acceptance were much lower because that was considered late. Now this year I'll try to have it in a couple of weeks before that. Not a big difference in time, but I tried my best to submit asap.

Well the earlier you submit, the better it is. However the quality of you personal statement should not suffer from that. Submit ONLY when you feel comfortable with your whole application because once you submit your application, you won't be able to change it.

medical22
are you taking the August MCAT...cuz if you are, then submitting it in July won't get you so behind...just get your 2ndaries turned in b4 your MCAT score comes in. A lot of ppl. that i know haven't submitted AMCAS yet for this year.

Whatever ... the longer you wait, yeah, chances do go down. But like the other person said, turn in a good PS later, than a so-so one now. I didn't submit my application last year until mid *October*. I had 6 interviews, 1 outright acceptance, 1 acceptance after the interview, and I'm still wait-listed at the other 4. But there's still time to get off some of those. SOme people are pulled up until the last day before registration! One of my strong points in teh application was my personal statement, so don't underestimate it. Work on it really hard, and take the risk of bein a lil "late". Dude, it's not even July yet! And b/c AMCAS has been a lil bit finicky (not as bad as last year though), the pre-med advisor at our school actually told people to wait a lil bit before submitting applications. I've been ignoring his e-mails lately, so I dunno if he's still telling people to wait (I doubt it), but you're not too far behind. :) And I've learned not to second guess the man when 89% of the students who applied to med school at our school gets in. :D

G'luck on your PS!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lady bug:
•medical22
are you taking the August MCAT...cuz if you are, then submitting it in July won't get you so behind...just get your 2ndaries turned in b4 your MCAT score comes in. A lot of ppl. that i know haven't submitted AMCAS yet for this year.•••••No I'm not taking the August MCAT, but what is the reason for sending the secondaries before the MCAT scores come in? Shouldn't it be the other way around, that is to wait until the score comes in and then decide if you want to complete the secondary?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by medical22:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by lady bug:
•medical22
are you taking the August MCAT...cuz if you are, then submitting it in July won't get you so behind...just get your 2ndaries turned in b4 your MCAT score comes in. A lot of ppl. that i know haven't submitted AMCAS yet for this year.•••••No I'm not taking the August MCAT, but what is the reason for sending the secondaries before the MCAT scores come in? Shouldn't it be the other way around, that is to wait until the score comes in and then decide if you want to complete the secondary?•••••You seem to have a bunch of questions about this process....so you might want to check out the first post in
<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=010171&p=" target="_blank">Jalbrekt's Official Guide to Applying to Medical School</a> :)

And to answer your question, you should have everything complete before your scores come in so your application won't be delayed even further.