Is It Me Or Is Everyone Getting Screwed By Aadas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xDent09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA went down for 3.59 to 3.56 from last year to this year without me taking any additional classes, I contacted them and they said that they are doing it a different way, is that true or im just being screwed??????

Members don't see this ad.

I was wrong. It is +/- .333. My mistake

Last edited:
My GPA went down for 3.59 to 3.56 from last year to this year without me taking any additional classes, I contacted them and they said that they are doing it a different way, is that true or im just being screwed??????

Is it any wonder why people are reporting that the AADSAS customer service reps are getting annoyed??

Members don't see this ad :)
Two things: 1) If you didn't get accepted last year, then the adcoms will definitely want to see that you have done something to make yourself more competitive during the past year. If that didn't include taking classes, I hope you've racked up some serious dental field experience.

2) Going from a 3.59 to a 3.56 is a bit of a difference, and I can't blame you for being ticked about it; but really, the schools that would accept you with a 3.59 will still take you with a 3.56. It shouldn't be that big a deal unless the rest of your application is weak. The only way I could see it having a bigger impact would be if they dropped you from a 3.61 to a 3.58. Even though it's the same distance apart, going from a 3.6x to a 3.5x just gives a different impression. But that didn't happen, so don't worry about it.

If AADSAS is calculating GPA differently, wouldn't they calculate it differently for everybody? Everyone's GPA goes down: so what? You're not competing against anybody whose GPA isn't subject to the same calculations, so who exactly is getting "screwed?"

Last year I think the A- was a 3.66 and this year it was a 3.7 ? I think. That's all I noticed differently.

how would this make peoples GPAs go down this year vs. last year?

how would this make peoples GPAs go down this year vs. last year?

If Simian is correct, then the same adjustment would be made for B,C,D+'s. i.e. a C+ would be calculated as a 3.3 rather than than a 3.333333. knowing this, the OP's X+'s > X-'s, thus the OP's GPA was harmed by the new conversion rather than helped (if his x-'s > x+'s).

I see ... I wasn't thinking about the + scores ... thanks for the clarification.

Last year I think the A- was a 3.66 and this year it was a 3.7 ? I think. That's all I noticed differently.

Arrg! I hate it when people give out false information. This year AADSAS is calculating A- as 3.666. All +'s are +.333 and all minuses are -.333. This even holds true for A+'s which are 4.333.

Well actually according to the AADSAS GPA conversion table an A- = 3.667, all - = .667 and all + = .333

I had a very calm phone conversation with an AADSAS rep about this issue. She was very helpful actually in explaining their reasoning. Obviously some schools use a +/- system and some do not, some schools have grades such as "AB = 3.5", and some schools even have A+'s (which is extremely rare). Anyway, due to this mess of a system, they have to take all of these grade denonminations, and put them on one scale, thus when A+ is the top, and no longer A.........an A- will be just slightly lower than 3.7. Anyway, EVERYONE's AADSAS GPA is going to appear different (slightly lower) than what is posted on your schools transcript. And she also went on to inform me that D-schools will be able to see your "coursework" section, as well as transcript, and that they are aware of the AADSAS system. So chill out, there is nothing you can do, b/c its happening to EVERYONE! Your not suddenly giong to drop from a 3.5 to a 3.3.

Aadsas doesn't calculate gpas the same way many undergrads do. If you look on their website, they say how they calculate it. So no, you're not getting screwed. The just have their own system. A way to make sure they are correct is to get the ol' pen and paper out, print out the aadsas gpa chart and calculate your gpa by their method.

I dont think that you all understood my comment, I am saying why the hell would AADAS just decrease my GPA from 3.59 last cycle as of 1/01/08 and up to now I just took a course and GOT an A, why???

I'm getting pimp slapped by AADSAS.

If AADSAS is calculating GPA differently, wouldn't they calculate it differently for everybody? Everyone's GPA goes down: so what?

Everyone's GPA would not go down. Think about it more.

Everyone's GPA would not go down. Think about it more.

I thought about it, and you're right. Considering what DRHOYA said, people with straight Fs will still show up as 0.0. Since A+ will calculated as 4.0 rather than 4.333, everything will get pushed down, making all the plus grades into integer numbers (D+,C+,B+,A+:1,2,3,4), etc. So all GPAs will be .333 lower, except the F person, who will be 0. Sounds logical, but...

I thought about it again, and you're still right. Considering what eldirty and Aceofspades said this time, nothing would change.

Either way, you're right, but now I'm confused. What's going on with GPA calculations this year again?:laugh:

ahhh damnit, does that mean that my gpa of a 3.13 will be shown up as a 2.80 now, are u serious?! crap, now i'm even more of a disadvantage lol.

so which gpa do schools value more...the undergrad institution or aadsas gpa???

ahhh damnit, does that mean that my gpa of a 3.13 will be shown up as a 2.80 now, are u serious?! crap, now i'm even more of a disadvantage lol.

so which gpa do schools value more...the undergrad institution or aadsas gpa???

They only look at the AADSAS GPA, because that is the only way they can compare students from different schools. Not everyone will have a lower GPA though. If you have more minuses than plusses, your GPA will go down. However, if you have more plusses than minuses, it may go up. Not everyone is dropping by .03, my GPA only went down .01