Is it necessary to be very smart to become a Pharmacy Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qummie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so this is my first time posting here.
I just graduated last week and I'm currently attending Pharmacy board review. Until now, I don't really know what`s my future career path since Pharmacy is not really my choice but my parent`s choice.
But I`m now inspired and wanting to become a professor because of our lecturers in our review center.
But I don't know if I'm suit to become a professor since I`m not like our professors/lecturers who are smart, cumlaude ,suma and magna during their school days. I`m not confident but I really want to try, I want to improve myself.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is it isn't that difficult, you're good, and very drunk I suspect.

Reactions: 1 user
I can assure you that this isn’t a major criteria.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I went back to school post PharmD to get a PhD in health outcomes research for two reasons: 1) the job market blows 2) I don’t want to get stuck in retail forever.

Becoming a professor is a broad statement. Clinical faculty positions are relatively abundant. In these positions, your time would be split between lecturing and practice. You probably won’t be required to conduct independent research. I went back to school to pursue a tenure track position. These are more like traditional university professor positions and require independent research.

Do you have to be particularly smart to do either of these things? Not really. Getting a clinical faculty position usually requires a residency. So you memorize a bunch of crap in the one or two years post PharmD and then regurgitate the same crap to the PharmD students you lecture as a prof. Being a research faculty member still doesn’t require savant-like intelligence by any means. You have to be good at asking questions, thinking through problems, and presenting your work. The teaching component is still just regurgitating what you know to students. Hope this helps!

I went back to school post PharmD to get a PhD in health outcomes research for two reasons: 1) the job market blows 2) I don’t want to get stuck in retail forever.

Becoming a professor is a broad statement. Clinical faculty positions are relatively abundant. In these positions, your time would be split between lecturing and practice. You probably won’t be required to conduct independent research. I went back to school to pursue a tenure track position. These are more like traditional university professor positions and require independent research.

Do you have to be particularly smart to do either of these things? Not really. Getting a clinical faculty position usually requires a residency. So you memorize a bunch of crap in the one or two years post PharmD and then regurgitate the same crap to the PharmD students you lecture as a prof. Being a research faculty member still doesn’t require savant-like intelligence by any means. You have to be good at asking questions, thinking through problems, and presenting your work. The teaching component is still just regurgitating what you know to students. Hope this helps!

And for tenure-track (tenured) faculty, teaching is the least important of the three tasks (even service takes precedence) and research being the most in the early career. You do not need to be particularly intelligent, but it helps if you are a good professional beggar as keeping funding is the day-to-day worry at that level.

For health outcomes, very little of the funding comes from federal (some rare AHRQ or R01 NIH shows up from time-to-time). You will have to learn how to get along with industry at some level.

Its not that tough job. You can learn anything into this world. But Really you have to make some interest in this field to take this job.