Is it necessary to quit drugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm only in 10th grade right now but I figure this is the place to ask, since....you know, there's doctors. Anyway, I really enjoy drugs, and all of my friends do smoke and stuff, but I wanna be a doctor. I told my friends about this, and none of them are very supportive, they say quitting drugs would be lame. The movie Requiem For A Dream really made me think about my life, and I think it helped me. I now have ambitions, and a dream/goal of being an internist (I'm pretty sure that's what they call doctors of internal medicine, correct me if I'm wrong please). I think though, out of all my friends, I've always been one of the few who still (somehow) does good academically.
Some people say weed rots your memory, and some say it doesn't. I think I'm beginning to feel my short term memory slipping a bit: sometimes I'll completely forget what I was thinking of a second earlier. I figure, you people have experience in medicine, and I know there must have been SOMEONE who either knew someone on drugs or was on drugs.
Anyway, my question here is: would it be necessary to quit drugs to pursue med school/ any career in medicine? I ask this expecting the answer to be yes.

BTW sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it doesn't go any lower than Pre-Meds.

First off, I'm assuming your talking about weed. If you are, what kind of pothead calls it "drugs"? Anyway, ganja virgins (read: 99% of the people on this board) will tell you you have to quit. Not true. Just don't let your recreational drug use get in the way of your studies. Bottom line: its the grades (and MCATs) that matter. If you can be a pothead, get the grades, and be happy doing it, do it up (I have for years). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

The problem is that pot is illegal, and if you get busted you're pretty much ****ed. It's just bad luck too.

Marijuana, used in moderation, isn't going to hurt your grades (the keyword being "moderation"). You apparently being experienced with the drug, I'm sure you're aware that you're not going to go "Reefer Madness" and chop your parents up with an axe or rob gas stations to get money for your fix, either. And I'm not even sure it's physically possible to smoke enough to OD. Though other drugs do have different results (meth, for example, will ruin almost anybody, as can heroin).

HOWEVER,

If you get busted, depending on your state of residence, you may be in big trouble with the law, and I could be wrong, but most adcoms probably don't look too kindly on any serious criminal offenses, especially offenses involving drugs, violence, abuse of a position of power, or sex crimes (even misdemeanors). In fact, depending on your school, you could even be expelled, which certainly won't look good on your record.

Additionally, if you plan on working, some places will require drug tests, and those "GUARANTEED CLEAN" gimmick drinks absolutely do not work. With prolonged use, you'll need to be clean for 1-2 months to come up negative on a urinalysis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the legal problems are probably the primary problem with marijuana. But if you live in a state where it's decriminalized it's not as big a deal if you very rarely partake in it (I mean like once every few months).

But generally, yes, please stop doing drugs.

And at least for now? I'd cut it down to never to see if you can really quit, because if you can't then that's a problem.

Heh, the Canadian doctors have it easy on this count seeing as how you can mail-order marijuana in Canada (legally).

I didnt take the time to read the other posts besides the one by the orignial poster because I can guess what they all say. The truth is that you can smoke/drink and be fine, you just have to be responsible about when and how often you use these things. You need to be able to quit cold turkey for months, but then you can take up the habit again when things are less stressful. The biggest pot head I know just finished has first year at Harvard with a 3.6.

Its all about responsibilty.

PS: those who havent smoked before should. just throwing that out there.

I've never known a long-term pothead whose use didn't catch up with them eventually. It's no different than alcohol.

I still wonder what you can get from pot that you can't get from other things. Sure, it's not illegal in some places but why continue taking such a risk?

Most have told you to quit. I don't really think I should repeat them. Just do what you think is necessary to get where you need to be. But DO stop if recreational use becomes a way to take away stress. That's where drug use becomes dangerous, legal or not, due to tolerance reducing the effects of your usual dose.

Do everything in moderation. You know if you have an addictive personality or not. Be aware of your own body.

its not about quitting drugs - its about doing the right ones.

meth and adderall for the win!!!

jk :)

F*CK your friends....they'll be gone within the next 5 years after HS. Don't get intoxicated or high and drive....that will screw up your life.

Also....Is everyone just assuming that the OP is just a pothead or is he doing other drugs?

Well, if your doing more than pot....quit....

I quit ...and at first I missed it....but....I have more important things in my life that I rather not risk.

There are better things in life than just getting high.

Members don't see this ad :)
as in all things in life...use in moderation and don't get caught. then you're fine.

Should you cheat, steal and murder in moderation as well? :rolleyes:

I really can't believe there's such a huge debate on this subject. Is it really that hard to figure out that drugs are bad for you? Who cares about moderation? Are you going to tell the cop, and later the judge when he sentences you for 10-15 years for possession of illegal substances, that you just did it in moderation? The legal system doesn't care about your moderate use and they /really/ don't care about your life being eviscerated even if you just had one joint on you, and trust me your life /will/ be eviscerated if you have a felony drug charge on your record. Good luck getting a medical license with /that/, and that's how it should be, because I don't see how patients should have to be terrified of whether their health care provider is a drug user or not.

It's not the fact that there's little harm to your body if used in moderation...it's the fact that no matter how small an amount of drugs you use or have on you, your life is being turned upside down once (not if, once) you run into the police. Or you decide moderate isn't enough, you OD on the crap, and I have to come pick you up in the ambulance and waste my time on you when a patient who actually is worth a damn may need my help as well.

Ok, I'm done. </rant>

Jeesh don't let chemicals control your decisions, even if temporarily or whatever. The implementations are up in the air but hell treat your body with some respect.

And what's trolling? I thought I understood it but I've not seen it used for the op.

its all fun and games until Officer Ramathorn teaches you a lesson by making you smoke the whole bag!

You should really get off of that weed...

Most doctors are on oxycontin

Should you cheat, steal and murder in moderation as well? :rolleyes:

That analogy when applied to the illegality of pot is good. :thumbup:

That analogy when applied to the harmfulness of pot is bad, or you could say the same about alcohol and tobacco, though I'm sure many would. :thumbdown:

Hey bro,

I actually am one of the few who has never done drugs so I can't relate that much to that part.

However, as far as your friends go, it will probably be hard to quit pot. You might not even make it through high school still being friends with them. But that's high school: drama drama drama.

I always like to try to stay friends with people and not let things fall apart... but please do realize that if you DO fall apart with your friends, it might be a little difficult for a bit. That's going to make you just want to pick up pot again in order to feel accepted with that group of friends.

Let me just say that there are a LOT of cool people out there and a lot of different ways to have fun. You know, vandalism, underage drinking, and sex. But no, really... it may take a few months to really start to make some other friends, but believe me - they're out there!

If you really have to ask whether you need to stop doing something that's illegal, I'd reconsider whether medicine's right for you.

(It's not about whether this, that, or the other thing should be illegal, it's about that they are.)

It's an unwritten rule that you have to have some integrity. :mad:

No, it's a written rule.

It should be unwritten, though, IMO. That we *have* to have a written rule saying doctors won't do anything illegal or immoral or unethical is sad. :(

So perhaps I should have said that it's a written rule many people miss reading.

www.norml.org
:D

I don't really think smoking weed is that big of a deal. I mean.. it makes you fat, and it makes you sleep a lot.. but as far as I'm concerned, it should be more acceptable than smoking cigarettes (less addictive and less likely to kill you, anyone?).

There are two kinds of smokers. There are the people that smoke occassionally and don't really have an issue with it, and there are the dime-a-day, serious potheads that spend way too much of their lives on the couch either smoking, eating, or sleeping.

What I'm saying is that.. on the physical and mental side of smoking... if you are the type that can smoke a bowl like once every couple of weeks, or less, and be fine.. then I doubt it should be a (physical/mental) problem. If you are the type (and I know a few) that smokes a dime a day then I seriously doubt you are going to get much accomplished.

It also depends what kind of person you are. IMO, if you don't WANT to graduate from weed to anything harder (whether its conscious or not), you won't. Still, I have friends, and a lot of them, that started off smoking every now and then.. and now they do about $60 a day of cocaine. It's ridiculous. I've seen them push me and other friends away because they want to be around people that will do coke and help pay for it. So yeah, theyre pretty much throwing their lives (and all the money they make) away for that ****ing powder... its sad. ok /rant

On the PRACTICAL and LEGAL side, however, smoking is pretty stupid. The figures on the amount of people busted for possession charges is pretty staggering. Anybody thats not an idiot knows how to avoid getting your ass busted (dont drive high, dont drive around with the **** any longer than neccessary, etc) but.. it only takes one time. If thats a risk you're willing to take, go for it I guess. The odds might be in your favor but I wouldnt want to be one of the poor bastards that did get busted.

Seems like it isn't much of an issue here cause every good job (part-time or not) where I live gives random drug tests...

EDIT: and yeah, I think if I had a doctor that came up to me and said "I smoke weed", I'd be a little worried.
HOWEVER, if I had a doctor that came up to me and said "I smoked weed during a few years of college"... I really wouldn't care.

I'd say pre-med's are more likely to not smoke for practical reasons more than "ethical" reasons.

EDIT AGAIN:
It's not the fact that there's little harm to your body if used in moderation...it's the fact that no matter how small an amount of drugs you use or have on you, your life is being turned upside down once (not if, once) you run into the police. Or you decide moderate isn't enough, you OD on the crap, and I have to come pick you up in the ambulance and waste my time on you when a patient who actually is worth a damn may need my help as well.

Ok, I'm done. </rant>

Show me evidence of a patient, EVER IN HISTORY, in a hospital for marijuana overdose. I've seen that "but what if you OD?" question a few times and uhh.... yeah... just do the research. Only way I can see anybody being hospitalized on weed is if they make the (stupid) mistake of driving. Still, the same thing could be said for alcohol... except that (gasp) people DO overdose on alcohol.

Not trying to flame or anything, just pointing that out.

I agree with the norml guy. You actually can not OD on weed. The worst I've ever heard of is shaking and increased heart rate. Also weed works with receptors in your body to produce a psychoactive effect, whereas alcohol poisons (actually destroys or impairs cells) you to create the drunk effect. Weed should be legal and alcohol shouldn't be if you go on purely health reasons. Also, how many potheads get high and beat their wives?
I feel it is important for SDNers who have not studied this very much to think about the actual biological effects of drugs, rather than subscribe to the Mr. Mackey drugs are bad attitude taught in school. I wish they would teach more drug action mechanisms and less just say no slogans, then people might learn something...

To the OP, you can never apply to pharmacy school if you get caught for drugs and likely never get into med school even though they will accept your app.
My motto in high school was just to stear clear from drugs/ sex/alcohol cus I knew my judgement sucked at that point in my life and figured I would be smarter and more capable of making decisions with regard to those things in college.
Though that may not work for you, make sure you take precautions and dont get arrested or get some one pregnant. Also I've had similar friends. Trust me, if some one tells you not to go to school they are mean and dont care about you. Find new friends. Even if they are nerds at least they wont ditch their dime sack in your car and blame you for the drugs when the cops come.

Show me evidence of a patient, EVER IN HISTORY, in a hospital for marijuana overdose. I've seen that "but what if you OD?" question a few times and uhh.... yeah... just do the research. Only way I can see anybody being hospitalized on weed is if they make the (stupid) mistake of driving. Still, the same thing could be said for alcohol... except that (gasp) people DO overdose on alcohol.

Not trying to flame or anything, just pointing that out.

The word in my quote that you used said "drugs", not "marijuana". There's a significant amount of meth and coke addicts out there; it's not like there's just potheads. And if you want to get technical, plenty of potheads probably /have/ driven and gotten in wrecks then had to be hauled to the ER. So this challenge is simply pointless. :p

The word in my quote that you used said "drugs", not "marijuana". There's a significant amount of meth and coke addicts out there; it's not like there's just potheads. And if you want to get technical, plenty of potheads probably /have/ driven and gotten in wrecks then had to be hauled to the ER. So this challenge is simply pointless. :p

The original post was about marijuana (even though he used the word "drugs" too).. If the original post was about cocaine, the responses would be a LOT more negative. I've actually witnessed 2 cocaine overdoses, its not a pleasant thing. On a side note, do you drink? There are far more wrecks caused by drunk drivers than stoned drivers.

I can tell you from personal experience (I've done both, not by choice but by situations where I got ****ed out of a ride and had to drive my truck :() that driving high is nothing like driving drunk. Driving drunk, you actually can't stay in between the lines... have trouble controlling acceleration and all.. and are generally just all over the place. Driving high, you can stay in between the lines, and you can control your speed fine. The only problem is that a) your reaction time is slowed, which is true for alcohol too but still causes wrecks and b) you tend to focus on things that make you not pay attention to the road. Oh, and it feels like it takes 14523x longer to get where you're going.

The main concern is getting caught by the law....if you get in trouble with drugs, it'll be a huge problem getting into any med schools...i had a good friend who got in trouble w/ the law for weed 3 times so i'm speaking from first-hand experience...so, at the least, I would definitely cut back and just be smart about whatever you do in college...because these bad things tend to happen when you least expect it, and it happens so fast that when you actually register what's happened to you, you've already been stigmatized by society in general, esp. by the professionals

I agree with the norml guy. You actually can not OD on weed. The worst I've ever heard of is shaking and increased heart rate. Also weed works with receptors in your body to produce a psychoactive effect, whereas alcohol poisons (actually destroys or impairs cells) you to create the drunk effect. Weed should be legal and alcohol shouldn't be if you go on purely health reasons. Also, how many potheads get high and beat their wives?
I feel it is important for SDNers who have not studied this very much to think about the actual biological effects of drugs, rather than subscribe to the Mr. Mackey drugs are bad attitude taught in school. I wish they would teach more drug action mechanisms and less just say no slogans, then people might learn something...

To the OP, you can never apply to pharmacy school if you get caught for drugs and likely never get into med school even though they will accept your app.
My motto in high school was just to stear clear from drugs/ sex/alcohol cus I knew my judgement sucked at that point in my life and figured I would be smarter and more capable of making decisions with regard to those things in college.
Though that may not work for you, make sure you take precautions and dont get arrested or get some one pregnant. Also I've had similar friends. Trust me, if some one tells you not to go to school they are mean and dont care about you. Find new friends. Even if they are nerds at least they wont ditch their dime sack in your car and blame you for the drugs when the cops come.

Just addressing the "alcohol destroys or impairs cells"...check out this new recent research that's come out...it's pointing to evidence that alcohol might not kill brain cells after all...it's party time! :hardy: :laugh:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=27398

Alcohol is toxic to cells along with its metabolite acetaldehyde. Although, one research site said it causes apoptosis similar to natural apoptosis. I suppose that makes it more healthy (than other ways of killing brain cells). =) No inflammation and bad stuff.
(Sorry, I got all fiesty and had to look up research).

Plus side, brain cells grown back. Chapel Hill confirms the article you listed with their own research.

http://www.unc.edu/news/archives/nov04/alcoholabstain110504.html

Party time then... just remember to take a break for Mr. Brain to rest.

Except for Mr. OP who shouldnt risk his delicate adolescent brain cells.

Chemically induced apoptosis does not make your brain more healthy!
Have you ever looked at MRIs of chronic alcoholics? In later years their brains are shrunken...pickled! Research might suggest that cells aren't permanently damaged, meaning you have some neuroplasticity, but will you have the time? Which is faster, raising a building or destroying it?

My advice would be to stay away from alcohol, cigarettes, inhalants and synthetics as they seem to be the most destructive (or the most potentially destructive). Stick with mushrooms, benzos and LSD, and the moderate or occasional use of narcotics. Avoid ketamine psychosis, it's a bitch. Shop as usual.

And if you get busted, get your record expunged.

Stick with mushrooms, benzos and LSD, and the moderate or occasional use of narcotics. Avoid ketamine psychosis, it's a bitch. Shop as usual.

I strongly suggest you do not do this...shop as usual?!? What the....are you telling this guy?
I've seen acid, tweak, and coke really screw up some of my friend's lives. Thankfully, they bounced back, but it took them a long, long time (years) to pry themselves away.

Sure some people might be able to pull off going through college and medical school smoking pot, but it seems like you're more than just the casual pot user. You said yourself that you already feel yourself slipping and your just in 10th grade. It won't get any better as you go along so you should stop the major drug use now or soon. It takes a lot of time to get off even marijuana, especially if you hang out with the same friends, so you need to learn how to say no and set your priorities straight. Once you do that and find your passion for medicine or whatever, it will be a lot easier to turn away from the sht and ignore your friends' opinions about the person you've become.

Chemically induced apoptosis does not make your brain more healthy!
Have you ever looked at MRIs of chronic alcoholics? In later years their brains are shrunken...pickled! Research might suggest that cells aren't permanently damaged, meaning you have some neuroplasticity, but will you have the time? Which is faster, raising a building or destroying it?

My advice would be to stay away from alcohol, cigarettes, inhalants and synthetics as they seem to be the most destructive (or the most potentially destructive). Stick with mushrooms, benzos and LSD, and the moderate or occasional use of narcotics. Avoid ketamine psychosis, it's a bitch. Shop as usual.

Yes, because LSD's never f*cked anyone up. *shakes head* Srsly, did we all miss the part of the job description that requires ethics?

I think he was being at least semi-sarcastic...

You're young, but quitting now will reduce your risks of getting into harder drugs, and greatly increase your motivation in life ( people can debate the 'motivation' comment if they want, but I have a handfull of friends who have lost all ambition via mary jane). Becoming interested in something bigger than you (i.e. Medicine) will really help you focus on quitting, and give you a reason to not give a crap about what your Willy Nelson buddies think. You sound to be like someone who wants a successful life, and; at the risk of sounding like a D.A.R.E. officer, pot is not the way to gain one. You wouldn't want to visit a Doctor who did drugs, so why do them yourself? This won't affect your life if you give it up asap, so just do it!!

They did not lose ambition due to their Marijuana use. Those people probably had motivation issues even before using marijuana. Read Understanding Marijuana: A Look Into the Scientific Evidence--he explains it well

Nobody has ever questioned the fact that long term marijuana use affects memory or other brain functions. It is just like any other LEGAL drug.. if it is abused, it causes problems. The number one abused drug on my college campus (according to campus PD), is Xanax, a legal prescription drug. To answer your question, yes daily chronic smoking is not going to improve your chances of getting into medical school, and based on the stigma attached to marijuana smokers, it would be wise to stop before applying to medical school. I just wanted to point out that this is a society problem and not a marijuana problem. Don't abuse drugs period. I mean how many pre-medical students abstained from getting trashed with alcohol every now and then?

Nobody in their right mind would approve of being intoxicated on the job with any drug, including marijuana. Hell, you cannot even light a cig near a hospital. This doesn't stop most doctors from drinking in the safety of their own home though--nobody places a stigma on that. Marijuana though is a different story.

Also, it has been proven that marijuana can alter the brain in developing adolescents... in other words, in a lot, if you are under 18, you probably shouldn't smoke marijuana.

I can't believe everyone has answered this post so seriously... to me this sounded like a joke. Anyway... I just imagine a bunch of people, maybe drunk, or just stupid, sitting around, all laughing, waiting to read everyone's very serious responses.

Who writes stuff like that? Nobody except for silly people with way too much time... and clearly I have too little work to do since I read it and am responding. :rolleyes:

If it was a serious post I suggest you quit writing about your drug use on the internet and keep it to yourself.

It goes without saying that in order to be a doctor you can't be a drug addict. But this is true for anything you do in life. What you're doing may "feel" good, but it will only end up ruining your life. I know of a guy with a business degree; he started a boat manufacturing company. He had everything going for him; family, friends, money, etc. He eventually got hooked on cocaine and now has lost everything; his wife, kids, money, career, all gone. No one knows where he is; he periodically turns up at homeless shelters in FL only to return to the streets for the next high. A small habit he had in high school eventually turned into the addiction that took everything away. You're going to have to come to a point where you determine what's most important to you; getting that feeling like a first-time high (which will never happen), or whether you actually want to have a life. I think it's obvious that if you're looking for a sure-fire way of ruining your life, drugs are the answer.

Wait, are we talking about marijuana, or are we talking about drugs?

Wait, are we talking about marijuana, or are we talking about drugs?
OP originally said drugs, and mentioned smoking.

So really, any and all illicit substances for your age and/or jurisdiction.

1) DO NOT listen to the "drugs in moderation" crap...you know what's right, and what you should do.

2) PLEASE, kid...just quit those brain rotting substances. You're still young and you have a lot of potential.

3) If your friends can't accept you once you quit, then DITCH them* seriously- chances are, you won't see any of them when you go on to college/bigger and better things.

4) If you remain friends with them, make sure they respect you for your decision, and also DO NOT hang around them when they're smoking/rotting their lives and themselves away.

5) Find some NEW friends and activites regardless; join some clubs. study hard and Ace all of your classes. start volunteering and developing your credentials as a pre-med.

6) Quit NOW, not tomorrow. There are so many other things out there in the world that you are missing out on... go discover them.

7) Quitting will make your life EASIER and less worrisome about getting in trouble. Also, yes, it is illegal for an MD to be taking drugs.

8) Be STRONG, and remember who you are and what you want from life :thumbup:

9) Please keep us updated, my FRIEND

10) I HOPE I helped :luck:

I think the stigma society puts on marijuana is a tad ridiculous.
Marijuana SHOULD NOT be put in the same class as other substances like heroin, cocaine, prescription pain pills, etc.
It seems like a lot of the people posting in this thread have subscribed to the OMG DRUGS R BAD way of thinking. But the same people wouldn't think that way about drinking or smoking cigarettes, both of which are more lethal and more addictive.
Now, if there are any posters putting down on the casual smoker that DON'T occasionally drink or smoke cigarettes, then more power to you. I can respect that. The thing is... that's usually not the case.

People need to look at it more from the "if you get charged with possession you'll probably NEVER get into med school" way of thinking instead of the ever popular "OMG WEED ROTS YOUR BRAIN, THE COMMERCIAL SAID SO!"

www.norml.org

Get informed. IMO, in 10-15 years marijuana will be legalized or decriminalized in the entire United States. Several states have already passed laws decriminalizing marijuana use.

You know my motto, "study high, score high."

Oh, I'm just kidding. Get a girlfriend, she can probably entice you away from drugs. Worked for me for the mostpart. Then again, the alcohol picked up a little bit.

I've known a lot of people who have done a lot of drugs. I can't make a solid opinion on what exactly it does to your motivation. Some of the most motivated people I know smoke every day, while some have screwed themselves over, and one even died from an OD.

Like everyone else has said, everything needs to be done in moderation. Don't be a *******, and don't do something that you will come to regret. On the flip side, have fun occasionally.

You know my motto, "study high, score high."

Oh, I'm just kidding. Get a girlfriend, she can probably entice you away from drugs. Worked for me for the mostpart. Then again, the alcohol picked up a little bit.

I've known a lot of people who have done a lot of drugs. I can't make a solid opinion on what exactly it does to your motivation. Some of the most motivated people I know smoke every day, while some have screwed themselves over, and one even died from an OD.

Like everyone else has said, everything needs to be done in moderation. Don't be a *******, and don't do something that you will come to regret. On the flip side, have fun occasionally.
you cant overdose on pot :/ I've had friends overdose too.. on cocaine.
but.. you cant overdose on pot.

you cant overdose on pot :/ I've had friends overdose too.. on cocaine.
but.. you cant overdose on pot.

Yeah, I guess I was referring to all drugs. I know you can't od on weed. This was from coke and fentynyl.

Yeah, I guess I was referring to all drugs. I know you can't od on weed. This was from coke and fentynyl.
Yeah man.. I've watched about 4 of my friends' downfalls on cocaine. Since the day they started. One of them overdosed once... its the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life. I thought he was going to die.. 6 months later, on it again.

A week ago, I told one of them that someone was either going to go to jail or die. Now, 3 of them just went to jail for breaking and entering... stole a bunch of stuff. Wanna take a wild guess what their motivation was?

It's a sad, sad thing to have to watch your friends' lives go down the drain..