Is it normal to absolutely hate your vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintEx

Reaction score
I don't hate vet school itself, I love learning and I am super grateful to be here. I hate this vet school. It is the most poorly run establishment I have ever encountered. I won't get into details because they would probably hunt me down and sue me, but this place is absolutely worthless. We have some wonderful faculty members, but unfortunately the bad apples over shadow the good ones.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't hate vet school itself, I love learning and I am super grateful to be here. I hate this vet school. It is the most poorly run establishment I have ever encountered. I won't get into details because they would probably hunt me down and sue me, but this place is absolutely worthless. We have some wonderful faculty members, but unfortunately the bad apples over shadow the good ones.
I don’t have anything to help you feel better about now, but at least can say the future is close at hand and you can work on finding out who you are as a veterinarian. Life is all about taking the bad to learn what you do want and doing your best to find it. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I had plenty of moments where I felt this way in school, where I resented my program—I’ll admit. I’ll tell you every CVM has its hang ups and bad apples and the grass will always seem greener elsewhere. This is likely especially true with the current state of things. If things are going on that seem unethical or are otherwise concerning, I think it would be within reason to confide in someone at school that you trust before taking further action. I hope I don’t invalidate your feelings on the matter. Never feel like you shouldn’t speak up. And as lupin said, it’s almost over! As someone who recently graduated, it is a nice feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's a problem that is inhibiting the delivery of information (i.e. teaching) or if it's an ethical problem - not common, but don't let it slide and speak up. If it's just about inefficient management and didactic rules - yeah, that's pretty common.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree with everyone's post above. I literally just graduated and this whole last year has made me hate my school so much. Like don't get me wrong, it's a great school but some of the management things they do is ridiculous. Then graduation. Like I get we can't have an actual graduation but the virtual one just felt so "blah". Like people weren't recognized for their awards or honors. It was like "here's a picture of you and your name, next". Don't even get me started on the management. It makes me feel slightly better that this seems to be a common thing but why does running a vet school need to be so political? Honestly if we could drop the political BS and power hungry deans/presidents/higher-ups, vet schools could be so much better. I'm not sure where in your education you are SaintEx, but you're almost there.

I'm in my 4th year. There is certainly some unethical things that have happened, most notably poor management of shelter animals in our care. Administration routinely negatively impacts my life. For instance, I was set to go to one of the top equine practices in the nation for one of my rotations. The school ended up canceling that rotation because of COVID-19. I was told by the school not to contact them, the school would handle it. The school NEVER contacted them and the practice was quite irritated when I didn't show up as I was supposed to. This is just one example from a long list. I reached out to administration about it and they told me that I lacked leadership skills and would struggle as a veterinarian because of it. They literally threatened us in multiple emails to not contact our sites. This place has gotten progressively worse in the last 4 years and I fear for the incoming students and underclassmen.

I have an overall negative opinion of my veterinary school, so you're not alone. Loved my mentors, loved my friends, and I survived. When it comes to the curriculum (we had a lot of unacceptable gaps), ignorance to known problems within the school, utter disorganization, etc....that's when I could go on for hours about the BS they pulled.

Just keep trucking to the finish line. Soon it will all be a 'Remember when....?' conversation over beer.

I'm in my 4th year. There is certainly some unethical things that have happened, most notably poor management of shelter animals in our care. Administration routinely negatively impacts my life. For instance, I was set to go to one of the top equine practices in the nation for one of my rotations. The school ended up canceling that rotation because of COVID-19. I was told by the school not to contact them, the school would handle it. The school NEVER contacted them and the practice was quite irritated when I didn't show up as I was supposed to. This is just one example from a long list. I reached out to administration about it and they told me that I lacked leadership skills and would struggle as a veterinarian because of it. They literally threatened us in multiple emails to not contact our sites. This place has gotten progressively worse in the last 4 years and I fear for the incoming students and underclassmen.
Oh man. That is terrible. I am sorry they pushed you aside and made it seem you were the one at fault. Seems to be the way as it always has by those with power vs those that don’t. I respect you for speaking up. I don’t have much advice on moving forward with that. Can only say keep speaking up, but be ready for the avalanche of being targeted for it. Know that there are always people who support you, but they may be too afraid to speak up. You have already shown leadership by taking a stand, so one can only hope these times inspire others to actually get up, speak up, and stand with you.

Reactions: 1 users
It's so true that before you find out things you have to undergo with some bad experiences. I myself really experienced that and now, here I am better than before :)