Is it OK to HATE calc???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angioletto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 4th week of pre-calc starts tomorrow. I feel like I haven't learned a thing. I spend every free second re-working homework problems. I have spent ~5 hours a week in tutoring. How can this be? I aced Intermediate Algebra last semester. I just don't understand. It feels like there is a huge gap between what I learned and what I was supposed to learn before I took this class.

I just want to scream. First test in 10 days.....

Members don't see this ad.

haha calculus. the first time i took it...i dropped it 3/4th of the way in because i was borderline C-/D+ and i didn't want to risk it.
i retook it over summer and ended up with a C-

calculus is THE hardest class i have ever taken in my entire life

It's okay to hate Calc. I don't like it either. Just keep in mind that it's just a little minor torture on the road to where you want to be :)

Keep doing the tutoring/studying...it'll pay off. Stay positive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. If you need some extra help with the material then you might want to check out coolmath.com and order the pre-calculas book. You can also acsess the same material on her site. She kind of dumbs the basics down so you can grasp the content but it totally helps when you get to the harder material.

Hope things turn around for you.

I dont think calc 1 is that bad... mostly limits, derivatives, and integration. I think it is calc 2 where it gets little bit complicated.

:smuggrin: I hated calc I too... soooooo glad I never have to take it again!!!

Just keep persevering and you'll get through it!

haha calculus. the first time i took it...i dropped it 3/4th of the way in because i was borderline C-/D+ and i didn't want to risk it.
i retook it over summer and ended up with a C-

I am determined not to drop. If I am not placed in calc 1 by summer I won't be able to take chem 2 during summer session and applying to pharm school will be set back by an entire year!

It's okay to hate Calc. I don't like it either. Just keep in mind that it's just a little minor torture on the road to where you want to be

That's what I keep telling myself. Kind of like how pregnancy was torture but it was worth it in the end. Pregnancy = 9 months. Pre-calc + calc 1 = 9 months. Coincidence?

Hey. If you need some extra help with the material then you might want to check out coolmath.com and order the pre-calculas book. You can also acsess the same material on her site. She kind of dumbs the basics down so you can grasp the content but it totally helps when you get to the harder material.

Thanks for the recommendation!!

I dont think calc 1 is that bad... mostly limits, derivatives, and integration. I think it is calc 2 where it gets little bit complicated.

Thank God I get to stop after Calc 1.

Wait, you are in pre-calculus now, right? You might wind up liking calculus better than pre-calculus.

Agreed- Calc III was the worst for me... what was I thinking registering for that class!

As long as u don't mention it to ur teacher.........or on ur college app essay.......u shud be fine....

U can HATE something and still excel in it........i hate history.......yet i can still do well in it...

Agreed- Calc III was the worst for me... what was I thinking registering for that class!

is that Multivariable Calculus and Vector Analysis.... i did not like it either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hated calc I for the most part. I hadn't taken trig or algebra for 4 years or so. Having to relearn the identities and other things like that was kind of a pain. I actually ended up liking calc II better, partly because I was more familiar with trig, algebra, limits, and the general principles of calculus. Calculus takes practice and then it becomes pretty easy and fun.

Don't worry... I hated pre-calcalculus as well. Much of the trigonometry made very little sense to me. Just gotta suck it up and get through with it. Personally, in research and pharmacy, the only math I've had much use for out of my sciences classes was from early gchem and algebra...

Like Knickerbocker said, you might actually like calculus better since the subject matter is a little different from pre-calculus... :thumbup:

is that Multivariable Calculus and Vector Analysis.... i did not like it either.

Bingo... it was worse than Advanced P Chem.
I was completely out of place in Calc 3 too... all those engineers- Chemists and Engineers don't play well together :rolleyes:

Don't worry... I hated pre-calcalculus as well. Much of the trigonometry made very little sense to me. Just gotta suck it up and get through with it. Personally, in research and pharmacy, the only math I've had much use for out of my sciences classes was from early gchem and algebra...

Like Knickerbocker said, you might actually like calculus better since the subject matter is a little different from pre-calculus... :thumbup:

...and statistics- that is the most pracitcal math course to take.

It's something different from most of the math leading up to that point.

Yeah you're right... but I can't say it was more enjoyable! I hated both, but definitely calc 1 more... it's just such a dry subject!!! Plus, I found it much harder than pre-cal. Pre-cal I hated too, but at least it was easy (well, relatively speaking). But I hate math, so I guess I'm biased. Just so glad that UT doesn't require calc 2 ;)

Bingo... it was worse than Advanced P Chem.
I was completely out of place in Calc 3 too... all those engineers- Chemists and Engineers don't play well together :rolleyes:

I majored in Chemistry too. If it was my choice i would not go beyond calc 2 but all of the calculuses were required. As for the physical chemistry, I enjoyed the thermodynamics part but not the quantum mechanics and all the shrodinger stuff.

I majored in Chemistry too. If it was my choice i would not go beyond calc 2 but all of the calculuses were required. As for the physical chemistry, I enjoyed the thermodynamics part but not the quantum mechanics and all the shrodinger stuff.

We had the option of BioPchem or Pchem. I took Pchem because I wasn't sure which concentration I'd go with for my chem degree. Pchem I could use for any option, BioPchem only worked for Biochem concentration. I should have done BioPchem. It was more enzyme kinetics instead of quantum mechanics. Oh well.

Words cannot express how much I hate Integration

I've been working my brain all day trying to figure out how to normalize wave functions and do all that shrodinger stuff w/out ever taking calc 3. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's not the biggest fan of quantum mechanics.:)

I've been working my brain all day trying to figure out how to normalize wave functions and do all that shrodinger stuff w/out ever taking calc 3. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's not the biggest fan of quantum mechanics.:)

I'd have to go back to my PChem book and notes to figure it out again. It'd probably take me 3 days. Glad they don't require that crap in P-school. There's a reason I got C's in P-Chem. It wasn't cuz I liked it.

Calculus is easy, it's the pre-calculus crunching you have to do that is hard IMO.

I'd have to go back to my PChem book and notes to figure it out again. It'd probably take me 3 days. Glad they don't require that crap in P-school. There's a reason I got C's in P-Chem. It wasn't cuz I liked it.

ewww p-chem. I'm trying to get out of undergrad before I have to take p-chem. From what I've heard, it's not pretty:scared:

ewww p-chem. I'm trying to get out of undergrad before I have to take p-chem. From what I've heard, it's not pretty:scared:

A lot of people say Organic Chemistry is the hardest class you take in college.... I vehemently disagree! Obviously they never took PChem I and II... oh the nightmares of those problem sets! If you don't have to take it... which you will for a Chemistry degree... than don't- save your sanity!

A lot of people say Organic Chemistry is the hardest class you take in college.... I vehemently disagree! Obviously they never took PChem I and II... oh the nightmares of those problem sets! If you don't have to take it... which you will for a Chemistry degree... than don't- save your sanity!

1st one was not this bad, I got an A luckily:), even though studied like there was no tomorrow. The 2nd one is killing me already:scared:, or maybe it's just my courseload.:(

It is OK. I do understand you because I am kinda in the same boat as you. Calculus was and still is challenging for me.

there's no such thing as a bad math student, just bad math teachers. math isn't hard, it's just that most mathematics professors can't make it seem relevant to the students. if i tutored you you'd have an A. before taking a calc OR o-chem course i suggest looking up the professor's rating and choose accordingly.

personally, i found metabolic biochem to be the toughest course!

there's no such thing as a bad math student, just bad math teachers. math isn't hard, it's just that most mathematics professors can't make it seem relevant to the students. if i tutored you you'd have an A. before taking a calc OR o-chem course i suggest looking up the professor's rating and choose accordingly.

personally, i found metabolic biochem to be the toughest course!

What in the world is metabolic biochem ? :scared:I never even heard such a thing and I am a biochem major !:laugh::laugh::laugh: Biochem 2 ?

What in the world is metabolic biochem ? :scared:I never even heard such a thing and I am a biochem major !:laugh::laugh::laugh: Biochem 2 ?

I think he's referring to the metabolic pathway component of biochemistry (glycolysis, oxidative phosphorylation, etc.). I don't know how biochem classes are organized at other schools, but mine was half a quarter of examining the structure/function of biopolymers and half memorizing metabolic pathways. I suppose it could be separated into two semesters (biochem I/II). I didn't find it too difficult... it's just a huge amount to remember at once. I think courses are more difficult when they require a different kind of thinking, which is why the different maths seem to cause people so much trouble.

1st one was not this bad, I got an A luckily:), even though studied like there was no tomorrow. The 2nd one is killing me already:scared:, or maybe it's just my courseload.:(

I got a C the first quarter and C+ the second. My daughter was born 1 week before the start of the 1st quarter. It was heinous.

pChem isn't horrible... I surprisingly did well in that class... but maybe that's b/c I went to every help session for the problem sets :scared:... lol...

The 4th week of pre-calc starts tomorrow. I feel like I haven't learned a thing. I spend every free second re-working homework problems. I have spent ~5 hours a week in tutoring. How can this be? I aced Intermediate Algebra last semester. I just don't understand. It feels like there is a huge gap between what I learned and what I was supposed to learn before I took this class.

I just want to scream. First test in 10 days.....
I am really afraid of calc! I tried taking AP calc last year and I spent from 3:00-11:30 doing homework and I still never got one problem right. I finally dropped it after 2 weeks. I'm hoping that by taking trig before calc (and I have the top rated professor f/ rate my professor!) I'll have a much easier time. I found a website that helped me some, but I cannot remember what it was.

Calculus is one of those classes that you love or hate!

Good luck with your class!

I used to think calc 1 was hard until I took calc 2 then realized the first one is a breeze. 2 is the hard one. thank goodness i'm done with both of them!

with calc 2, you may get a cheat sheet with formulas on them but it doesn't really help if you don't understand the concept and how to apply them. thats the hard part.

My school doesn't really do it by calc I, II, and III.

what exactly constitutes calc I, II, and III?

I am SO pissed off right now about all of this!!!!

I had class tonight. We got back our quiz from last week. I got a 25%.:mad::(:oops::confused: I have never had a grade like that.

I stayed after class to ask what else I can do since I am already spending every free moment in tutoring or at home studying. She asked when I took Intermed. Algebra and I told her this past fall and that I got an A. She asked who my prof was and I told her I took it at the CC branch of the university. It is the SAME exact class, #, description..... just a different prof in a different building. Or so I thought.

She said that is the problem and that at the CC branch they don't teach Algebra in nearly enough depth to prep students for pre-calc. She said that I lack "some of the basic algebraic skills required for pre-calc."

I am at a loss here. What do I do now? Drop pre-calc and re-take Algebra? I definitely agree that the teacher makes all the difference. Unfortunately my schedule is 100% determined by what fits into my work schedule and my son. Obviously that is not going to work any more. I thought I could be ready to apply to pharm school by summer 2009 but it is starting to look like that won't be possible.

ETA:
It feels like there is a huge gap between what I learned and what I was supposed to learn before I took this class.

And now I know why...

I wouldnt suggest retaking algebra. Pre cal is just hard. Its the reason I did bad in calc. You can think about taking pre cal at the CC where you did the algebra and drop it where you are now. Instead of having to take alg the pre cal again. I dropped calc at my 4 yr and am planning on taking it at cc.

I am SO pissed off right now about all of this!!!!

I had class tonight. We got back our quiz from last week. I got a 25%.:mad::(:oops::confused: I have never had a grade like that.

I stayed after class to ask what else I can do since I am already spending every free moment in tutoring or at home studying. She asked when I took Intermed. Algebra and I told her this past fall and that I got an A. She asked who my prof was and I told her I took it at the CC branch of the university. It is the SAME exact class, #, description..... just a different prof in a different building. Or so I thought.

She said that is the problem and that at the CC branch they don't teach Algebra in nearly enough depth to prep students for pre-calc. She said that I lack "some of the basic algebraic skills required for pre-calc."

I am at a loss here. What do I do now? Drop pre-calc and re-take Algebra? I definitely agree that the teacher makes all the difference. Unfortunately my schedule is 100% determined by what fits into my work schedule and my son. Obviously that is not going to work any more. I thought I could be ready to apply to pharm school by summer 2009 but it is starting to look like that won't be possible.

ETA:

And now I know why...

I'm taking Calc II right now and its pretty bad (not as bad as ochem and physics, but close...). At my school, I hear the precalc course was actually HARDER than the Calc series...lucky me, I took a math placement test where I scored high enough for them to place me right at calc one. Have you taken a math placement test? I'm sure every school offers it...if you have, I believe you can retake it to see if you can pass your precalc class..hey it saves time and money :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

privet cheburashka! mne ochen nravitsa tvoyo imya! ya tozhe russkiy k state :)

anyhow, the class that i'm talking about is indeed called metabolic biochemistry, the university that i attended (a UC school) had 2 biochem classes, structural and metabolic. Metabolic basically dealt with various metabolic pathways, enzymes, cofactors etc.... that class was very tough, at least for me!

anyhow, the class that i'm talking about is indeed called metabolic biochemistry, the university that i attended (a UC school) had 2 biochem classes, structural and metabolic. Metabolic basically dealt with various metabolic pathways, enzymes, cofactors etc.... that class was very tough, at least for me!

Sounds like biochem II.

I'm not sure how your math program is set up but Calc I is usually limits/derivatives and Calc II is integration. Calc II is the hardest of the Calc series.

Privet, klassno chto ty russkij, prisoedinajsja, nas tut uzhe porjadochnoe kolichestvo chelovek nabiraetsja. Go Russians ! Yeah, in my school that metabolic biochem was just called biochem 2 - I agree very tough class, like 50 % of our class were retaking it for the 2nd time. I worked my behind off for a mere B +.

To the author of the thread: I am very sorry about the whole CC issue, I hope everything works out for you. Do not give up ! :)I also retested out pre-calc and took calc 1. Some of the stuff you learn in pre-calc, you don't even need for calc. Maybe you can do the same thing.

Thank you all for the advice. I am not so sure about trying to test out of pre-calc. First, if I am totally lost and getting 25% on quizzes how the heck would I score high enough to test out? Isn't testing out proving that you have enough knowledge about the subject that you shouldn't have to take the class? Even if I was lucky enough to test out of it, wouldn't calc 1 be harder without pre-calc? Everyone is saying calc 1 is easier than pre-calc but is that the case if you don't take pre-calc at all?

I am going to talk to an advisor today to see what they think. This sucks. If I don't finish pre-calc this semester it will mean another year of school before applying to pharmacy school. Maybe that is for the best. I want to be done with undergrad and get started in pharmacy school ASAP but applying a year earlier would be pointless if my GPA is lower.

I'm not sure how your math program is set up but Calc I is usually limits/derivatives and Calc II is integration. Calc II is the hardest of the Calc series.

i'm still confused about calc I, II, and III.

I've already finished my pre-reqs, just kind of wondering what each covers. For my school, calc is split into sequences. Calc I sequence, II sequence, no III. we also have different calc courses for different majors (calculus for science major or engineering majors or math majors)

This is what I took (description taken from university timetable)

1st semester: Trigonometric calculus, indefinite integrals, definite integration, areas and volumes, multivariable differential calculus.
2nd semester: Multiple integrals, indeterminate forms, infinite sequences and series, differential equations.

I guess they compressed your calculus into 2 semesters worth. From my schools catalog.

Calc I: Elementary functions, derivatives and their applications, introduction to definite integrals.Elementary functions, derivatives and their applications, introduction to definite integrals.

Calc II: Methods for evaluating definite integrals, applications of integration, improper integrals, infinite series, Taylor series, power series, and introduction to differential equations. (Fall, Spring, Summer) (Evenings)

Calc III: Functions of two or more variables, vectors in two and three dimensions, partial derivatives, optimization, double and triple integrals and their applications.

And Calc IV: Parametric curves and surfaces, vector fields, line and surface integrals; Green’s theorem, Divergence theorem, Stoke’s theorem and applications. Fourier series and its applications.

Look up your schools catalog and you should see the class descriptions.

in my school integration is introduced in calc 1...but integration by parts is in calc 2.

I talked to an advisor. She was very understanding and had some good advice.

It looks like I have a couple of options:

1. Keep going to tutoring, take the test next week and re-evaluate
2. Drop the class and re-take next year with a different prof. She recommended using ratemyprofessors.com to get an idea of who would work better for me but only 1 pre-calc instructor is on there and it is the one I have. (With a pretty bad rating:rolleyes:)

I really can't re-take Algebra because it would be an "illegal repeat." (I think that's what she called it.)

I am going to call a couple of the other profs to see if I can sit in on a class this semester to get a feel for their teaching style. There is 1 prof who is highly recommended but she only teaches calc 1.

Regardless of what I choose it looks like my applying to pharm school will be pushed back an extra year. I am just so overwhelmed right now. I am tired of never seeing my son.

Whee, I got an calc II test in the morning. Fun stuff

Good luck!

After I posted last night I sat down to try re-work some of the stuff that was giving me trouble. Somehow I understood what I was doing and breezed right through that homework. Do i finally understand how to do logs?