Is it ok to place publications in the same section at the work/activity you were published in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deez_md

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying MD and MD/PhD.

I have 3 publications, and wrote about them in the respective work/activity section I was published in. I did this so I could include 14 unique work experiences rather than wasting 3/15 on publications that were the product of the work I did in the labs I describe.

Is this kosher? Or should I make different sections for the publications?

Please Advise!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying MD and MD/PhD.

I have 3 publications, and wrote about them in the respective work/activity section I was published in. I did this so I could include 14 unique work experiences rather than wasting 3/15 on publications that were the product of the work I did in the labs I describe.

Is this kosher? Or should I make different sections for the publications?

Please Advise!
How you entered the publications isn't completely clear to me from what you wrote, but if you entered all three publications in a single Publications space (ie, 1 of the 15 available spaces), that's perfectly fine and commonly done.

Ideally, you'd give enough of a citation for each so they can be found online (especially if they are research-based). It's OK to truncate a citation if need be, just so long as enough is there for an interested adcomm to find it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the most important thing is to make sure that whatever "box" you enter the publications into, that you have selected "Publications" from the drop down menu designating the category (as opposed to burying the names of the publications in a box designated as "Work"). You want admcoms to be able to filter your application and immediately see a publication if the were looking for applicants with pubs. So I would do what @Catalystik said and put them all into one "Publication" box. You still list the work/research experience you did (that contributed to the publication) in another box.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the most important thing is to make sure that whatever "box" you enter the publications into, that you have selected "Publications" from the drop down menu designating the category (as opposed to burying the names of the publications in a box designated as "Work"). You want admcoms to be able to filter your application and immediately see a publication if the were looking for applicants with pubs. So I would do what @Catalystik said and put them all into one "Publication" box. You still list the work/research experience you did (that contributed to the publication) in another box.
Putting all the pubs in a Publication space is even more particularly important since you are applying MD/PhD and you want to highlight this accomplishment.

Putting all the pubs in a Publication space is even more particularly important since you are applying MD/PhD and you want to highlight this accomplishment.
Agreed, pubs aren't something to bury between a few hours spent volunteering at the animal shelter (or the like! No offense intended to animal shelter volunteering)

How you entered the publications isn't completely clear to me from what you wrote, but if you entered all three publications in a single Publications space (ie, 1 of the 15 available spaces), that's perfectly fine and commonly done.

Ideally, you'd give enough of a citation for each so they can be found online (especially if they are research-based). It's OK to truncate a citation if need be, just so long as enough is there for an interested adcomm to find it.

Thanks for the advise all. I talked about the publications under the "Research/Lab" experience type for the labs I was published in. I will make a new Work/Activity section like the one you suggested @Catalystik , where I will enter all the publications.

Definitely make a section for your pubs. You have 1 spot left anyways!

Definitely make a section for your pubs. You have 1 spot left anyways!

Since the work was published on different dates and in different labs, is it still ok to put into one experience?

Because the section asks for a contact, date of publication, etc. that will only be consistent with 2/3 of my pubs.

Since the work was published on different dates and in different labs, is it still ok to put into one experience?

Because the section asks for a contact, date of publication, etc. that will only be consistent with 2/3 of my pubs.
Yes, manipulate it to your work. I had the same problem, I believe I offered a date range, maybe put a slash in between the place /different labs, etc. The AMCAS boxes don't work well with every activity, just do what you can to make it accurate and informative. Adcoms will get it.