Is it okay or even encouraged to inquire about your application status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalH22a

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if its alright to email or telephone schools to inquire about the status of your application. I submitted many secondaries about a month to two months ago and have not heard anything from some of the schools. Do most schools discourage this? Shouldn't I have heard something about my status by now?

Members don't see this ad.

hey i'm in the same boat and have the same question, but since no one has responded much to your thread, maybe you should post this in the allopathic forum where some actual med students who have gone through this process completely might be able to give you some advice

Well, it is the middle of the night.

What do you mean by you haven't heard anything? You should at least get a confirmation email or letter saying your application is complete. Beyond that, though, it's perfectly normal not to have heard anything further.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called to check on a school that I hadn't heard anything from for over a month of having everything in (letters included). They said that they needed to know whether I recieved a grade from one my letter writers, so that was what was holding me up. Glad I called. I was complete the next day.

CalH22a said:
I was just wondering if its alright to email or telephone schools to inquire about the status of your application. I submitted many secondaries about a month to two months ago and have not heard anything from some of the schools. Do most schools discourage this? Shouldn't I have heard something about my status by now?
You should definitely call. Sometimes there are little snafoos that hold up your application and they wont inform unless you ask (like MGMd2B above).

Yes, I definitely think that it's okay to call or e-mail a school if you are unsure of your application status. I recently called a school because I hadn't heard anything from them in over a month (not even an e-mail or letter stating that my file was complete) and they said that they were still missing my $60 application fee, which I had mailed in over a month ago with my app! So, I went ahead and mailed them another check and my file was complete a week later. Sometimes, I feel like its better to be safe than sorry!

Some schools specifically tell you not to call during the screening process and that you will be notified weeks to months later. Aside from this instance I typically send an email. Each time I have received a timely responce. I find that if you call, you file is not always immediately accessible but with an email the admissions officer has a chance to find yor file and respond to you when it is convenient for them.

Yes, call (or email). Its good to do so for several reasons. 1-sometimes things go wrong and it takes them a long time to contact you...calling/emailing will speed things up. 2-it lets them know how interested you are in their school (can't hurt) 3- your own piece of mind. Persistence is KEY to getting accepted-never forget that.

I emailed my state school (twice-because last year they were having email problems) and they just got back to me yesterday. They said the person in charge of reviewing my application had been given additional clinical responsibilities which had slowed the process, but that he would get to them by the end of this week and have an interview decision for me next week. This was a big relief to me, as I'm sure you can imagine. I called another school to ask on the status of my application, and they said it was on hold -that they would review it again later in the season...apparently they only want to interview the cream of the crop this early in the cycle. But again, I feel much better knowing, and not just being in the dark.

Bottom line is, if you have a funny feeling, call them...just be polite and it will be no problem. At the worst, you are only helping to create job security for the people in the admissions office. :luck:

After hearing from schools that I expected, I had one left that I had yet to hear from about an interview. I knew (thanks to sdn) that they were inviting people, so I called to see when I could expect to hear about an interview. They told me it was my responsibility to contact them, so I was glad I did. I scheduled my interview then on the phone. I am not sure all of the details, some people got e-mails, I did not. So for me, it was quite a good decision to call.

Ad finitum-which school was that?

Of course it is okay to ask...you actually paid to have them look at your stuf. Also mistakes do happen so it is better to be safe than sorry.

CheckMate said:
So you're saying if you don't get an interview you can just call up the school and ask whether they will be interviewing or not? I'm also curious to know which school this worked at!! PM me please if you are ok with sharing. Also wondering if subsequently you were accepted. Because I'm complete at some schools that have started with interviews already, but I think it's probably best to just be patient and wait.

I just called to ask when I could expect to hear about being invited for an interview i.e. "I have been complete at your school for a while, when do you think I may be invited, or even will I be invited at all". The person who answered the phone simply asked my name and gave me the status of my application, which was "invited for interview".

CheckMate said:
So you're saying if you don't get an interview you can just call up the school and ask whether they will be interviewing or not? I'm also curious to know which school this worked at!! PM me please if you are ok with sharing. Also wondering if subsequently you were accepted. Because I'm complete at some schools that have started with interviews already, but I think it's probably best to just be patient and wait.

Patience is not a virtue, persistence is a virtue. This is true for applying to medical schools. Call 'em up and find out the status of your application. ;)

ive called - and everyone answering the phones have been really nice - i even found out about a couple interviews this way, which was a good thing with one school as they misplaced my app and thought they had emailed me the invite when they actually hadnt

About how much time should I allow between when my application was complete and when I call regarding my status? Two weeks? A month? Two months?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Emory's website says, "When we receive all the required items, you will receive an email stating that your file is complete and in the screening process. If you have not received such notification within six weeks from the time your Emory Supplemental Application and ALL letters of recommendation were sent, please contact the Office of Admissions at [email protected]."

In other words, they think they can take up to six weeks after you mail your payment and LORs before you even get an email that says "your file is complete." Gah.

Don't wait till longer than 4 weeks after they recieve you mail your secondary to contact them. If they are waiting 6-8 weeks, its most likely because you are not a priority to them or they lost your application or something. Its better to call-they make mistakes all the time

i called columbia and they said they cant check on my status but they'll email me when i was complete, i emailed pritzker and the woman emailed me back immediately and told me that she checked my status and i had one letter missing. Northwestern checked my status when i called them and said letters werent in yet.....

i think it depends on the school. i think my phone calls and emails helped alleviate some anxiety for me and showed the schools taht i was interested.

yposhelley said:
Don't wait till longer than 4 weeks after they recieve you mail your secondary to contact them. If they are waiting 6-8 weeks, its most likely because you are not a priority to them or they lost your application or something. Its better to call-they make mistakes all the time

I'm not a priority :(

I think I"m a little confused by the answers. After we know our file is complete (either by calling or the schools mailng a confirmation out), is it good to follow up and ask about a potential interview? What's a general time to wait? I've been complete for about a month at most places, and have not heard anything yet. Think it's too soon to prod them a little? Thanks!

tazzysoze said:
I think I"m a little confused by the answers. After we know our file is complete (either by calling or the schools mailng a confirmation out), is it good to follow up and ask about a potential interview? What's a general time to wait? I've been complete for about a month at most places, and have not heard anything yet. Think it's too soon to prod them a little? Thanks!

No, its not too soon. All you need to do is ask about the status of your application. I call it "fishing"...usually they will tell you if you are on hold, or if they are currently reviewing it, or haven't gotten to it. It can only help. A month is plenty of time to wait after they have recieved your materials. :luck:

VFrank said:
I'm not a priority :(

I find it hard to believe there is any medical school out there who would not be falling over themsleves to interview you with your MCAT scores. But cheer up, just because you aren't in the first rounds, doesn't mean you won't get the next. All it takes is one!