Is it okay to ask a program for an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had an offer from some program across the country that offered you an interview, would it be okay to contact the other programs in that city that you applied to and let them know you'll be in the area that week and ask for an interview? I remember post about people doing this when they applied for med school, not sure if it worked or not. But was wondering if anyone ever heard of this working for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

If you had an offer from some program across the country that offered you an interview, would it be okay to contact the other programs in that city that you applied to and let them know you'll be the area that week and ask for an interview? I remember post about people doing this when they applied for med school, not sure if it worked or not. But was wondering if anyone ever heard of this working for residency?

Yes, this is appropriate.

-AT.

I've done this 5 or six times and it has worked about half the time..

tried doing it for a radiology interview since I got a prelim offer in the same hospital and was quickly denied.

You should definitely try...just proves to the program that you want to come!!! Good luck!

so what happens when you e-mail a program but somewhere in the letter you refer to the wrong program that you are asking about your status? I.e. letter to Michigan but in one of the sentences refer to how "Northwestern receives alot of applications and I would appreciate any updates to the status or my interview")

oh crap...i think i just screwed my chances at that school

If I were you, I would simply send another email to Michigan (or better yet, call them...) and not even mention the "ooops email" and simply ask your question again. You're human and the coordinators are cetainly human as well. I got a rejection from one program using someone else's name and then the next day got a nod from the same program, but this time addressed to my name. Good luck. Don't sweat the small stuff... and it really is all small stuff.

booyah. situation solved. I did call the school and instead to my amazement received an interview invite!

ps it wasn't michigan...didn't want to risk having a program director out there read this or something and realize that hey that was our program and this nkow fellow was the ****** that wrote me that e-mail today!...but nonetheless the program is a large well known university base program and i am happy to get the invite!

congrats.

I tried it and got 2 rejections instead.

congrats.

I tried it and got 2 rejections instead.

sorry to hear that! keep trying! called wake forest today and got an interview!

tried... even more of the same. All interview spots filled. Will not be waitlisted...

Getting to the point of dispair now after reading how other people from my school are doing....

Better 2 rejections than to leave you hanging with false hope....