is it possible for the school to rescind acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Master Keaton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fellow got into D school this year and she came up with a question regarding rescind acceptance.

she is currently not enrolled any of school since she graduated back in 2010
In AADSAS webpage she planned to take microbio psycho and anatomy class but once she got into school, she simply dropped courses(from CC) because those were not pre-reqs course.

in this case do you think the school will rescind acceptance? she is kind of nervous because those courses were recommended courses.
She couldnt talk to school because she is terrified.

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

My fellow got into D school this year and she came up with a question regarding rescind acceptance.

In AADSAS webpage she planned to take microbio psycho and anatomy class but once she got into school, she simply dropped courses(from CC) because those were not pre-reqs course.

in this case do you think the school will rescind acceptance? she is kind of nervous because those courses were recommended courses.

what do you guys think?

Call the school to find out. Some schools like Temple might, while others might not.

I told her to do so, but she was very nervous to call school because she thinks they may rescind her acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
why dont you call them? seems like you're willing to go the extra mile for her

orz

<(+_+)^

^(+_+)>

^(+_+)^

d(^_^)b

what do you guys think?

They might rescind the acceptance and may also have legal grounds to do so. I talked to a few schools about this scenario (Tufts, BU, and UIC, and my guess is almost all the other schools will share a similar sentiment). I bet those schools would say they accepted her with the understanding that she will successfully complete the courses. When they looked at her application, the planned coursework was considered when they decided to accept her. Dropping the classes "changes" her as an applicant, and they could rescind her acceptance.

Does she think that she can just matriculate and then when the school finds out she can pull the "oops! I didn't know" card and hope that they'll just be like.. "meh, too late now to find someone else, well just keep her in"? That's really risky IMO.

Anyway, my advice is to talk to the school asap. If her application is strong without the courses, they'll probably understand. The scary part is the waiting period. The adcoms, dean or whoever may meet and discuss and make a decision. I highly doubt she will get a "ohhh whatevs, you finished the prereqs, it's all gravyy" type of response right away.

I'm taking A&P, Genetics, and English while working full time. None of the classes are prereqs for where I'm going (Tufts). I asked, and they wouldn't let me drop. Believe me, dropping those courses would take a huuuuuuge weight off my shoulders since I'm working a 9-5 too.

Also, if she talks to the schools now and they threaten to take away her acceptance. At least she can offer to take courses over the summer as a negotiation tool. She should talk to the schools now.

Last edited:
They might rescind the acceptance and may also have legal grounds to do so. I talked to a few schools about this scenario (Tufts, BU, and UIC, and my guess is almost all the other schools will share a similar sentiment). I bet those schools would say they accepted her with the understanding that she will successfully complete the courses. When they looked at her application, the planned coursework was considered when they decided to accept her. Dropping the classes "changes" her as an applicant, and they could rescind her acceptance.

Does she think that she can just matriculate and then when the school finds out she can pull the "oops! I didn't know" card and hope that they'll just be like.. "meh, too late now to find someone else, well just keep her in"? That's really risky IMO.

Anyway, my advice is to talk to the school asap. If her application is strong without the courses, they'll probably understand. The scary part is the waiting period. The adcoms, dean or whoever may meet and discuss and make a decision. I highly doubt she will get a "ohhh whatevs, you finished the prereqs, it's all gravyy" type of response right away.

I'm taking A&P, Genetics, and English while working full time. None of the classes are prereqs for where I'm going (Tufts). I asked, and they wouldn't let me drop. Believe me, dropping those courses would take a huuuuuuge weight off my shoulders since I'm working a 9-5 too.

Also, if she talks to the schools now and they threaten to take away her acceptance. At least she can offer to take courses over the summer as a negotiation tool. She should talk to the schools now.

does TUFT just expect you to pass? what happens if u get a C or 2

Definitely contact the school ASAP. I know for a fact GHSU requires you to complete all the courses that you say you are taking your senior year. When I did a tour of the school they said even if your accepted and begin classes before your grades are released you can still be kicked out of the program with no refunds. IMO its not worth the risk of getting kicked out especially when you have already paid a semesters worth of tuition. Best of luck to her!

how will they know she didn't take the courses? do schools require an upgraded transcript even if youve already graduated?

does TUFT just expect you to pass? what happens if u get a C or 2

If you're not prepared to work hard to finish your current classes at the level you worked at beforehand then you have no business matriculating at any dental school, especially Tufts - because the effort you will be required to put forth in dental school makes your current workload look like preschool.

No, the school will not rescind their offer if recommended courses are dropped.

I was in the same situation. I called my school and they didn't care if I dropped them since the weren't prereqs. So you bet I dropped them. Now I'm working full time and getting ready for the move and a new baby. She needs to ask the school. They're not going to kick her out for asking the question.

Last edited:
Have your "female friend" call the school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same situation. I called my school and they didn't care if I dropped them since the weren't prereqs. So you bet I dropped them. Now I'm working full time and getting ready for the move and a new baby. She needs to ask the school. Their not going to kick her out for asking the question.

Interesting, I guess some schools really don't care.

I was in the same situation. I called my school and they didn't care if I dropped them since the weren't prereqs. So you bet I dropped them. Now I'm working full time and getting ready for the move and a new baby. She needs to ask the school. Their not going to kick her out for asking the question.

Agreed that it's better to be safe than sorry.

what do you guys think?

Ya'll can't read. She isn't think about dropping the classes, she already did.

I think she f***ed up pretty bad. Not checking with the schools before dropping the classes makes no sense. There is no point in discussing the matter, as she is at the mercy of the school. Of course they can rescind acceptance if she does not do what she said she was going to. Of course, they may let her matriculate, but I just can't imagine how she would drop classes without checking first.

I think she f***ed up pretty bad. Not checking with the schools before dropping the classes makes no sense. There is no point in discussing the matter, as she is at the mercy of the school. Of course they can rescind acceptance if she does not do what she said she was going to. Of course, they may let her matriculate, but I just can't imagine how she would drop classes without checking first.
I agree with this.

Ask her why she dropped it. Did she drop these because she was failing the courses? Does her transcript say she has Ws for those courses?

I think she might have taken those course because some of schools she applied to were requiring them, but she might still ended up getting into one school that doesn't require any of those course she was taking. Ask her if this was the case, and if it is, then I don't think it would be a big problem for her to let the school know about it.

Either way, she def. needs to let the school she was accepted to know about her course changes.

Last edited:

:smack:

Yeah, she needs to tell them now...

I agree.

To the OP, why in the world would your friend drop out of those classes just because they weren't pre-reqs??? They are CC classes meaning they are cheaper and easier. No reason to drop and take on any unnecessary risks. As the saying goes... Don't fix what's not broken.

umm...yes they will. why do you think aadsas has planned courses/in progress option in the application?

In the event you are still taking classes and have yet to complete a degree. Unless its a prereq dw about it.

When is the date that schools can see all your deposits, and rescind acceptances? I thought it was April or something, do they give a warning before withdrawing your acceptance?

exactly, they won't.

I thought most schools required you to submit a final transcript (i.e. for the Spring semester showing completion of the planned/in progress courses). When I got into UMDNJ, I asked if I could drop a few courses that had no bearing on Dentistry and thankfully they let me. But I still had to submit a final transcript with the remaining 3 courses as part of my pre-matriculation requirements.

The friend of the OP definitely needs to contact the school. All other opinions are useless at this point. She needs to do it and the sooner the better.

It is wise to contact the school. I know Tufts, for example, is VERY strict regarding dropped courses.

Umm, can I just say Master Keaton that you are the man... or woman. Regardless of your gender, you are The Man! Those are are some sweet stats my friend. That is a killer GPA and you CRUSHED the DAT! I also noticed that, like me, you were accepted at every school you interviewed. The difference is that I only interviewed at one school while you interviewed at 10! I hope they wooed you right. Good luck in your bright future. Once again, well played sir... or madam. You truly are Master Keaton. :cool:

I just realized there is a course on my planned list of courses for this semester that I dropped a few months back. So I guess the best course of action would be to notify the school? You think they would go so far as to rescind the acceptance? The course is not a pre-requisite.

umm...yes they will. why do you think aadsas has planned courses/in progress option in the application?

In dental school, we want people who are honest with their situation and accept responsibility for their choices. "We" are much more harsh for people who withhold information from us where it could likely put colleagues or patients at risk. That said, the person in question -- as a professional in training -- is obligated to tell the school what happened and not leave the discovery to us. Regardless of whether the school will rescind its acceptance if the original person discloses it to us, misrepresentation (withholding that information) is always grounds for dismissal as a sign of lack of professional integrity.

P.S. If the person is dropping courses and it won't appear on a transcript (as opposed to withdrawing or failing courses), that will NOT be a big deal to us since it won't appear on the transcript. Unless the dropped course was key in our decision to accept an applicant -- say it was "immunology" to ensure that the person has the momentum to handle tough science rigorous coursework -- it might not matter so much. Thus, the original advice holds: contact the schools.

what if the accepted student had updated their aadsas by removing courses during academic update?