Is it possible to apply for Ph.D epidemiology without a masters degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hazel97

Reaction score
Hello. I am a third-year bio major college attending liberal arts.
I am wondering if I can get into a good Ph.D. epidemiology program without doing a Masters.
  • My GPA is 3.7/4.0, No GRE score yet.
  • Published 3 epidemiology research paper as a first author
  • Total 1 year of research intern experience
  • Epidemiology Journal Club member
  • Volunteering in a medical center for two years
Because of the financial circumstances, I would like to get into a Ph.D. program directly.
What extracurricular activities do you recommend? (I will apply to one more research internship next year)
Is it possible to apply fora good Ph.D. epi without a master?

Thank you for your time and response!

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible, but you will have much better results with a Masters. Your GPA is ok for PhD programs but not stellar, and you don't have GRE scores yet. Also, it will be difficult to find someone who can speak to your potential to do PhD-level work if you haven't done any graduate work at all.

In the end, it may cost just as much to do a Masters (MS or MPH) and then a fully-funded, top-tier PhD program as it would to complete a partially funded PhD. The vast majority of the programs that offer full funding for PhD students prefer those with Masters.

Reactions: 1 user
Late reply, but at least a handful of the Epidemiology PhD cohort this year at my school had no prior masters' degree . So yes, it can definitely be done, although I have no idea what their stats were when applying!

EDIT: however, not a single person in the PhD cohort is straight out of college; the people who don't have masters' degrees all have a few years of work experience, and even some people who DO have masters' degrees also have work experience as well.

Last edited: